SOME OLD PLANE PHOTOS FROM THE 1960

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

19 years 6 months

Hi Guys, I found some slides my late father took.
I do vaguely remember being taken up to London as young child, looking at the photos the location must be Horse Guards parade.

After talking with PDS we think the year was 1968, but are prepared to be corrected should anyone know better.
With a lot help from the very nice people on PLANTALK, I think the event was for the 50th anniversary of the RAF. Again but I am prepared to be corrected should anyone know .

I have some more photos of the day, but the friend who has very kindly scanned them in for me has gone on holiday.

As soon as I get the last batch, I will post them .
In the last batch of photos will be photos of a Camel , Beaufighter,& Gladiator.

Sorry about the quality but my friend has tried his best.

I would like to thank the following people for there help in track down the event, the year and where some of the aircraft in the photos are currently. PDS, NeilD, JDK, Dave Homewood, Freddo, Rlangham.
Robbo & Manonthefence for there encouragement Thank gentleman.

I am not to sure about the Hurricane I, but as the Spitfire I was at Hendon, I am guessing it to must have come from Hendon too. I am are prepared to be corrected should anyone know better.

WV398 Hunter T68 J-4023 Preserved Payerne, Switzerland

S1595 Supermarine S.6 B Museum South Kensington, London

P2617 Hurricane I AF-A, 8373M RAFM Museum Hendon,
K9942 Spitfire I SD-D Museum RAFM Cosford, Shropshire

ATB

Dave

Attachments
Original post

Member for

19 years 1 month

I now think the Meteor F4 is the Tangmere one actually, judging by the painted over rear canopy, looking on the Tangmere museum website it seems to have that whereas the Midland Air Museum one is clear

Member for

19 years 6 months

Hi Rlangham, I had look for the meteor on http://www.demobbed.org.uk/ but was unsure which one it was.
Thanks mate, I will add it to my list.

ATB

Dave

Member for

24 years 6 months

I went to see that display, aged 12.
The Meteor was indeed EE549, now at Tangmere.

Member for

19 years 6 months

Hi Mack, do you have any idea of the date, I only ask because I was about 7 years old at the time.

Many thanks

Dave

Member for

24 years 6 months

I'd have said 1968 too.

Member for

21 years

I am not to sure about the Hurricane I, but as the Spitfire I was at Hendon, I am guessing it to must have come from Hendon too. I am are prepared to be corrected should anyone know better.Dave
But the RAF Museum did not open until 1972, four years later!

Member for

18 years 4 months

To confirm all suspicions I have definitive proof of date in the history of XG326 the Lightning in the second pic, This was a P1B, part of a batch of twenty airframes ordered for various trials.

This particular airframe was used for radar development, including aspects of weapon system aiming trials at Boscombe Down.

It had a short and usefull career before being dismantled by 60MU and stored, Before being used as a target at PEE Shoeburyness she was transported to Horse Guards Parade during June of 1968 for the 50th Anniversary of the RAF.

This information has been gleened from several books, the most notable being Lightning, The Operational History by Kev Darling and of course all credit goes to them.

Regards

John.

Member for

19 years 6 months

Hi MARK V, I completely forgot that Hendon did not open until 1972.
The plane must have come from some where, I think to find that out would very hard.
Thank you for pointing this out.

Hi JOHN, many thanks for the information on the date , much appreciated.

ATB

Dave

Member for

21 years

Hi MARK V, I completely forgot that Hendon did not open until 1972.
The plane must have come from some where, I think to find that out would very hard.
Thank you for pointing this out.
Not at all. According to a well known database of surviving Spitfires, the aircraft would have been under the care of 71 MU (based at Bicester) around this time (1968), just prior to the refurbishment that took place before handover to the new RAF Museum in late 1971.

Member for

19 years 10 months

S1595 Supermarine S.6 B Museum South Kensington, London
Dave

This is actually the Supermarine S.6A N248 which at the time was painted as, and believed to be, S.6B S1596. N428 is now on display at Solent Sky in Southampton, S1595 is, as you say, on display at South Kensington.

--
Philip Morten

Member for

19 years 6 months

Hi MARK V, what can I say, thank you again.
To be honest will you when I posted the photos I never expected to find out so much information on the aircraft.
At best all I was hoping for was to find the year and why the aircraft were displayed.

Philip, I am a bit confused, You saying that original Schielder winning aircraft was painted to be another aircraft.
I apologize in advance if :
A I have not read your post correct.
B I being thick .

ATB

Dave

Member for

20 years 3 months

S1595

In the Science Museum and almost impossible to photograph! Taken in January.

Member for

20 years 5 months

The Hurricane was indeed stored at Bicester and that's where it came from and was in the static park at Abingdon in June 1968 for the RAF's 50th Anniversary. The Hunter WV398 was an F.Mk.4 at the time and, like so many surplus RAF Hunters, got refurbished and sold abroad. Indeed this one got converted to a two-seater and got sold to Switzerland. To pin-point the date, this collection was assembled for Battle of Britain day during the RAF's 50th Anniversary Year in September 1968.

Member for

20 years 3 months

Hurricane P2617

At Abingdon in 1968 for the RAF 50th birthday celebrations - I was there!

Member for

19 years 10 months

Hi MARK V, what can I say, thank you again
Philip, I am a bit confused, You saying that original Schielder winning aircraft was painted to be another aircraft.
I apologize in advance if :
A I have not read your post correct.
B I being thick .

ATB

Dave

Thats right - S.6A N248 was one of two S.6 aircraft ( N247 & N248 ) built by Supermarine in 1929 which competed in that year's Schneider Trophy Contest at Calshot, the contest was won by the other aircraft N247, N248 would have come second but was disqualified for turning inside one of the pylons. In 1931 it was modified as an S.6A ( longer floats, more powerful engine, control mass balances, more radiator area, etc ) and used for training and as a reserve aircraft for the two new build S.6B aircraft ( S1595 & S1596 ) for the 1931 contest. After the contest it was stored until being used in the filming of the film "The First of the Few" when it was mocked-up to represent an S.5; after the movie its identity was lost and by the time it was presented to Southampton council for display it had been painted as the second S.6B 'S1596'. It remained in these markings until 1976 when it was put on display in the R J Mitchell Memorial Museum in Southampton ( the predecessor of Solent Sky ) and examination of the aircraft revealed its true identity. The 1931 winning aircraft and speed-record holder S1595 was presented to the Science Museum ( in the 1930s ? ) and is still on display there.

--
Philip Morten

Member for

20 years 9 months

It remained in these markings until 1976 when it was put on display in the R J Mitchell Memorial Museum in Southampton ( the predecessor of Solent Sky )

if I may make a tiny correction? The R J Mitchell Memorial Museum became the much larger Southamton Hall of Aviation, on a different site, which was then renamed recently into the more PR friendly 'Solent Sky'. It shoulds like a netball club.

Member for

19 years 10 months

if I may make a tiny correction? The R J Mitchell Memorial Museum became the much larger Southamton Hall of Aviation, on a different site, which was then renamed recently into the more PR friendly 'Solent Sky'. It shoulds like a netball club.

Well that is a bit pedantic, we still are the R J Mitchell Memorial Museum Ltd operating as "Solent Sky".

Philip Morten

Member for

18 years 7 months

Horse Guards, 18 Sept.68: BoB Commemoration and RAF 50th. Anniversary:
EE549 Meteor F4 now Tangmere
WV398 HUnter F4, to T-68 J4203, now Payenne
XG326 DB Lightning, shot PEE
K4762 Afghan Hind, pristine from Abingdon and Bicester restoration: I have lost track: is this (BAPC.82) Afghan/Cosford?
"S1596 S.6"B" as above
R9125 Lysander now Hendon
NL985 Tiger now G-BWIK/Sywell
NV778 Tempest TT.V (SN219) now Hendon
TA639 Mosquito TT35 now Cosford
An Exhibition Hall previous week had:
F938 SE5A (D7000) now Hendon
F6314 Camel now Hendon
K8042 Gladiator now Hendon
P2617 Hurricane I now Hendon
K9942 Spitfire IA now Hendon
RD867 Beaufighter now NAM Rockcliffe

Member for

20 years 5 months

Horse Guards, 18 Sept.68: BoB Commemoration and RAF 50th. Anniversary:

An Exhibition Hall previous week had:
F938 SE5A (D7000) now Hendon

F938 was never D7000, this was Shuttleworth's 'F904' when it was first rebuilt
F938 is ex G-EBIC.

Member for

19 years 6 months

Papa Lima, many thanks for the infor, I was at the RAF 50th birthday celebrations at Horse Guards parade, I would have been aged about 6 years, 7 months if it was held in the June. To be honest I do not have any memories of the day.

Philip, what a fascinating and interesting story, thank you again for the infor. Much appreciated.
Do you work for the R J Mitchell Memorial Museum ?
I only ask because (I hope my next comment does not any shape or form come across as condescending ) If you would like a copy of the said print. If you would like a copy please PM me.

alertken, Again without sounding boring, many thanks for the infor Much appreciated.
One question if I may. I have some more photos to come of the day including the Beaufighter, Camel They are all in the open in Horse Guards and not in a Exhibition Hall. Were the aircraft moved outside for a
reason ?

ATB

Dave