SAAF Museum pics.

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

19 years 4 months

Hi gents. :)

Just returned back from my trip to South Africa, what a beautiful country! :)

While I was there, I paid a visit to 'Thunder City' but unfortunately they don't open to public anymore, only offering the flying experiences which i can't afford.
So the only pics of 'Thunder City' I got were of the Javelin and Vampire in the carpark. :mad:

After that disappointment however, my luck was to change with a visit to Ysterplaat SAAF base museum.
What a fantastic place!! Having gone though the base security gates, which were manned by very helpful and polite personnel, I made my way upto the SAAF museum and was met by Chris Teale who runs the outfit.

What a guy, he couldn't have been a more helpful friendly guy, showing me around the hangar and displays ,answering any questions cheerfully and we also chatted about toils,heartache and joy, between there and MAM, and also generally putting the world to rights..lol :D

Below i have posted some pics from inside the hangar and a couple of model shots, also a couple of me (good looking lad eh?) with the Mirage and stood with Chris under SAAF crest.

There is more to see there but outside the hangar but photography is restricted due to some 'sensitive movements', as this is a live base, so no Shack pics :(

Also in the pics selection there are some shots of red biplane which was 'buzzing' a vineyard in Wellington we were staying at, can anyone identify it, my prop ID skills are sh*te . :D :D

Cheers

Kev :)

Original post

Member for

19 years 4 months

some more!

Member for

19 years 4 months

and the rest. :D

Member for

18 years 7 months

'Bostin' pics

the Red Biplane is a Stearman 1B75A based at Stellenbosch

any more of the Javelin and Vampires?

Member for

19 years 4 months

Cheers for that Wildcat :)

Yam are bostin are kid :D

Kev

P.S. Sorry those were the only two I took at Thunder City.

Member for

24 years 8 months

Kev,

Great images

Did you manage to see the Spitfire that is under restoration during your visit, and if so did you get any pic's ?

Regards,

Member for

19 years 4 months

Sorry mate didn't see the Spitfire.

There are two SAAF museums, one at Cape Town, and one at Pretoria, maybe it's at that one.

It may have been at this one but security was very tight as mentioned above, so I'm not sure.

Cheers

Kev :)