Meteor identification please?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 8 months

I took this photo recently at Gloucester Airport (Staverton).
Is it a T.7 or an F.8?
Also, how can you tell?

Thanks, Plazz

Attachments
Original post

Member for

20 years 5 months

Wrong canopy for an F.8 and no guns either - my bet is therefore a T.7.

Member for

19 years 7 months

That airframe looks like a T.7 converted from an F.4. The tail on it is an early mark tail (fairly short and rounded) and the cannon ports have had a panel put over where they would be on a single seat aircraft.

Member for

19 years 9 months

It's a T7.

Member for

20 years 7 months

It's a T7.

Pretty sure thats WL349 owned by GAC.

Member for

19 years 9 months

Pretty sure thats WL349 owned by GAC.

I think there are a couple of other T7's there, WL345 and WF784. They were going to convert 345 into an F3 at one point by fitting a different nose section. Don't know if this has happened yet.

Member for

20 years

Your picture shows the one time Staverton gate guard T.7 WL349. It was camouflaged and the remnants of that colour is visible on the canopy. The other T.7 in store here is WF784 (see my photo of '784 here to compare).

Member for

19 years 5 months

I think there are a couple of other T7's there, WL345 and WF784. They were going to convert 345 into an F3 at one point by fitting a different nose section. Don't know if this has happened yet.

Had not heard of this interesting proposal. They would presumably be planning to shorten both engine nacelles fore and aft of the wing as well

Roger Smith.

Member for

20 years 5 months

Definitely a T.7. This looks very like one that stood outside the flying club at Staverton, not far from the control tower (sometime between 1993 & 1996) when I dropped in in a Wessex (Queen of the skies) on a training trip. It was camouflaged then (Like the wings in the photo) and carried 72 Sqn markings. Two names appeared under the cockpit, one of them a Group Captain. Could be the same one stripped of paint?

Member for

24 years 8 months

The same one stripped of paint? Yes, it is.

Member for

24 years 8 months

Sorry, P.S. It actually carried 28 Squadron markings, not because it had ever served with that squadron, but because an officer on its last unit before retirement, had.

Member for

20 years 5 months

Hi Steve,

I am sure it carried 72's Blue bars outlined in red and not the blue/yellow combination of 28 Sqn, though memory being what it is! i think i have a photo somewhere. if i can find it I will try to post it on the forum.

Yours

Tom