HP Hermes II

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 8 months

It wasn't until today that I knew that A HP Hermes G-AGUB had a tail wheel, this registration became VX234 with the Ministry of Supply and was used to test 'sideways looking RADAR' for the TSR2 project. The 'Hermes' looked very much like a Hastings but with a different window configuration. Can anyone enlarge on this please

Original post

Member for

20 years 5 months

Hermes G-AGUB/VX234

G-AGUB before its first flight, from the Handley Page Putnams book, page 460. As VX234 it was used for a number of scientific research programmes with an assortment of sensors, later, after having its engines replaced, allotted to RRE in 1958 for SLR trials. It became the longest-living Hermes of all, being scrapped at Pershore in 1969.
It's all in the book!

Member for

24 years 8 months

Thanks Peter, it was only that someone asked me about this a couple of days ago as he worked partly on dismantling said aircraft at Manston. She certainly looks unusual in this configuration.

Member for

20 years 2 months

The first Hermes IV G-AKFP also started life as a tail dragger. It was converted to tricycle undercarriage during production, but retained the tail wheel structure in the rear fuselage.

Simon.

Member for

20 years 7 months

It wasn't until today that I knew that A HP Hermes G-AGUB had a tail wheel, this registration became VX234 with the Ministry of Supply and was used to test 'sideways looking RADAR' for the TSR2 project. The 'Hermes' looked very much like a Hastings but with a different window configuration. Can anyone enlarge on this please

Just scanning some prints and came across this one, which I thought I would add to this old thread. It shows RRE Hermes IV (was it ever known as a C.1?) at Pershore on 25 Oct 67.

Attachments

Member for

24 years 8 months

And here it is at Radlett at an earlier stage in its career.

Attachments

Member for

17 years

It shows RRE Hermes IV (was it ever known as a C.1?) at Pershore on 25 Oct 67.

Hermes IVs had a tricycle undercarriage configuration. It must have been the sole HP74 Hermes II, G-AGUB/VX234.
Good spot though, at a casual glance it looks very similar to a Hastings.

Member for

24 years 8 months

Thanks Adrian and Steve, really interesting pics there.

The length of the fuselage from Steves pic is obviously more noticeable than Adrians 3/4 view, I note she was scrapped in 1968. I shall be at Duxford on Sunday with a few other erks from that time span so a little nostalgia will be heading this way.........:p

Member for

18 years 5 months

And here it is at Radlett at an earlier stage in its career.

I remember that magnetometry equipped Dak in the background flying around the local Luton area in the late 50's!