Swiss "warbird" crash today??

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 1 month

Other news reporting a Swiss WW2 aircraft crash today - pilot killed! :confused:

Original post

Member for

21 years 1 month

MJ-10 SPITFIRE HB-YIZ

OD,

It's a 3/4 scale Spitfire replica - registration HB-YIZ.
As per the AFP: "A 39 year-old pilot was killed on Saturday when his replica World War II fighter aircraft crashed during an air display in northern Switzerland, Swiss police said."

You can view a photo of the Spitfire here

Ben

Member for

20 years 10 months

Thoughts to the family.

AF (EX BBMF)

Member for

20 years 1 month

A sad day for the fellow, his family and friends together with all who love what we do...RIP

Member for

20 years 7 months

oh that's sad....
and also what a beautiful aircraft it was too.

RIP and condolences to the family.

TNZ

Member for

24 years 8 months

Spitfire crash in Germany

The crash occurred at Dittingen, Canton Baselland,
PM allan125 if you want to view this site - Flood

It is in German - but it gives some more information.

cheers

Allan

Member for

24 years 8 months

Allan,I've just looked at the link you provided and find the picture extremely grim. Could you remove the link please?
My sympathies go out to the pilot's friends and family,and to all those involved with the aircraft.

Member for

21 years 1 month

Oh **** me! :(

This is bloody terrible news - I've followed this project for a few years now and was utterly rapt in watching its final stages of construction, engine runs and test-flying. The aircraft was, in my opinion, the most beautiful example yet built.

My deepest condolences to the family and friends :(

Happier times

[edit = I've just found out the pilot was Stephane Haug himself, a chap I'd come to know through numerous e-mails. We were going to collaborate on an article about building the Spitfire for one of the UK GA magazines.

RIP Stephane :()

Member for

24 years 8 months

Sad news, my sympathy to those involved.
Phil.

Member for

24 years 8 months

Spitfire crash in Switzerland

Hi Ant

Not my wish to offend anybody - just got back in to read your message and to see that Flood has edited it now. (thanks Flood).

The link was sent to me from a friend in Switzerland - and I looked at it before posting the link on and, although grim, is no worse than seeing the aftermath of a suicide bomb in London on a bus recently, or everyday in downtown Baghdad.

And before anyone thinks I am callous I have been very close to two IRA bombs in London (Old Bailey in 1973 and London Bridge in 1992) and saw the results afterwards.

cheers

Allan