P-38 mid air collision with Hawker Hurricane

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

19 years 1 month

I am totally new at this so bear with me.
I am a docent at the Seattle Museum of Flight. Today (Aug 1, 2005) a gentleman from England, and his two young sons were visiting. I told them the story of a P-38 mid-air collision with a Hawker Hurricane which happened on November 8th, 1943, at 11:45am local time, in Bangalore, India. I know the story very well, since it was my oldest brother, Paul R. Morton, in the
P-38 (he parachuted and lived to fly again, unfortunately the Hurricane pilot lost his life in the mid-air collision). Upon completion of the story the gentleman said,"I know this story!!" Well, you could have knocked me over with a feather, to say the least!
Turns out he had read of the incident in FLY PAST magazine "a few months back."
Our research library at the museum has all of Fly Past issues back many years. I looked today at some recent issues (back about a year) to no avail, finding the subject story.
QUESTION- Do any of you get Fly Past and can you point me to the issue that addresses the story?
Any help would be apprecited.
Cordially,
Alex Morton Issaquah, Washington,USA
P.S. Paul is still alive at 89 yrs of age and still flying! He was awarded the FAA Wright Brothers Master Pilot Award for 72 consecutive years of flying.

Original post

Member for

24 years 8 months

Sir,
Did I also meet you last week, Tuesday evening, when the Medical Physics meeting took over the museum ? I was, well still am!, the very enthusiastic guy with a camera around his neck.
I talked to several very helpful and proud people from the Museum as I dashed around getting my pictures whislt the daylight lasted.I was a real honour to be there and meet you fellows.
Good luck to you, and wow to your brother.
I have all back issues of Flypast but not in very good order so It could take a very long time, but I'll have quick go.

Best regards and thanks for a fine museum.
Phil

Member for

21 years

QUESTION- Do any of you get Fly Past

You might find a few subscribers hanging around here occasionally...;)
Welcome. - Nermal

Member for

19 years 1 month

Phil, Aug 2, 05
No, Phil, I was not there on Tuesday evening. My usual stint is Mondays from 10am-2pm, with special VIP tours taking me there on various days and evenings, but not the one you eluded to, sorry! But I'm pleased my docent buddies treated you special, 'cause they are a special bunch in my estimation!
cheers!
Sandy