Ezer Weizman - Spitfire pilot

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 8 months

'The Times' of London, today 26 April, dedicates 1.2 complete pages to an obituary to Ezer Weizman, the President of Israel who died on 18 April.

A Sergeant Pilot in the RAF flying Spitfires in WWII, he went on to become C in C of the Israeli Air Force, having a special Spitfire, painted black, as his personal machine.

'Black 57' was preserved and is still maintained in flying order. It is of course well known to current enthusiasts.

Never an easy aircraft to photograph in black, here is a shot in the setting sun at Hatzerim on 11 December 1989. I was particularly pleased with this shoot as a heavily cropped image of this particular shot made the cover of September 1990 'Flypaper', and it is rare to get a ground shot on the cover.

Mark

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v634/Mark12/9-TE554-709-003.jpg

Original post

Member for

21 years 1 month

RIP :(

Member for

21 years 3 months

The Black Spit in flight over the IAF museum, yesterday, dedicated to the man who ordered keeping it in Israel and in flying condition. Ezer Weizman also flew the Spit until 1973.
Sorry for the size.

Attachments

Member for

21 years 1 month

I tried, in vain, to hunt down the photo of '57' in flight with an F-15 to post up here.

Member for

21 years 1 month

That's the one (only without the text - it was posted on here by I do not know whom).

Thanks

Member for

20 years 10 months

Great looking plane...nice to see he had the foresight to keep it restored and in flying order for the future...

Mark

Member for

24 years 8 months

TE554/Black 57

HauntedSea

A very nice shot.

It also graces the front cover of Bill Norton's book 'On the edge - A history of the Israel Air Force and its Aircraft since 1947'. Expensive but in depth.

Mark

Photo credit: Israeli Air Force official

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v634/Mark12/9-TE554-16375.jpg

Member for

21 years 3 months

A quick look in to 'Spitfire Survivors' shows this Spitfire was delivered in May 1945 so is now exactly 60 years old. Is this the only Spitfire to have remained in airworthy condition since manufacture and has never been through a major re-build?

Member for

24 years 8 months

. Is this the only Spitfire to have remained in airworthy condition since manufacture and has never been through a major re-build?

Some might include MH434 in that category but I guess you would have to define 'major re-build'.

A total rivets up restoration ?

Mark

Member for

21 years 3 months

Hi Mark, thanks and yes I should have said excluding MH434 as it has at least had a major refurbishment (perhaps not as far as a ground up re-build but major work nontheless).

Member for

21 years 3 months

Hi Mark, thanks and yes I should have said excluding MH434 as it has at least had a major refurbishment (perhaps not as far as a ground up re-build but major work nontheless).

Just a couple of years ago there was a fear that the Black Spit would never fly again, as due to its old age it became risky to fly, but it was decided to put it in a rather long overhaul. However, other than that, this plane flew for long years before needing any major repair and it is one of the few if not the only Spitfire that remained in flying order since it was manufactured until today.

Member for

21 years 3 months

I suspected as much - thanks Erez :)

Member for

20 years 6 months

Wow, a beautiful machine that I had not seen decent pictures of before. Since we have had Israel's F15 over here for airshows, maybe it could be tempted over for Legends some day?

Which gets me thinking, it would look fantastic in formation with the silver Dutch Spitfire and the green Irish one, a flypast of 'export' Spits in highly distinctive liveries. Are there any other flyable examples in exotic colour schemes, or plans to restore one into a foreign scheme?

Member for

24 years 8 months

Total time

I don't know exactly how many hours this machine has flown but I suspect that it is relatively few in any one year and there have been times when it has been 'down' for some period. The civilian contractors who maintain it went deeper than ever previously in the last round of maintenance following the x-ray procedure of another 'friendly military operator'.

I have a copy of the aircraft logbook from July 1955, the end of its military service, and total time on the airframe was 486 hours. I doubt that its got more than 1000 hours total by now even 50 years on.

The Israelis have always been very protective of the hours flown and selective of the very few pilots that have flown it.

Renown test pilot Danny Shapira, who was the sole pilot for many many years, once told me that he always advised everybody what a tricky little aircraft it was to fly and winked.

Well he would say that wouldn't he?

Mark

Member for

21 years 3 months

I don't know exactly how many hours this machine has flown but I suspect that it is relatively few in any one year and there have been times when it has been 'down' for some period. The civilian contractors who maintain it went deeper than ever previously in the last round of maintenance following the x-ray procedure of another 'friendly military operator'.

I have a copy of the aircraft logbook from July 1955, the end of its military service, and total time on the airframe was 486 hours. I doubt that its got more than 1000 hours total by now even 50 years on.

The Israelis have always been very protective of the hours flown and selective of the very few pilots that have flown it.

Renown test pilot Danny Shapira, who was the sole pilot for many many years, once told me that he always advised everybody what a tricky little aircraft it was to fly and winked.

Well he would say that wouldn't he?

Mark

Actually it's only flying during the holidays, so it doesn't have a lot of flying hours in its history.
It also flew yesterday over Ezer Weizman's tomb in the end of his funeral, very low and in two circuits, following some F-16s. Since it is Passover it's also flying every day over the IAF museum. I hope to be there in friday.

Member for

21 years 1 month

Get some photos, if you can (pretty please!). This is one Spit I can safely say I can't get enough of! :)

Member for

24 years 8 months

Is this the only Spitfire to have remained in airworthy condition since manufacture and has never been through a major re-build?

I would think PM631 would be another that fits this specification.

Mark

Member for

21 years 3 months

Get some photos, if you can (pretty please!). This is one Spit I can safely say I can't get enough of! :)

I'll do my best, if I'll manage to get there ;)