Serial Code Question

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years

Hi,

silly question: Did any RAF aircraft ever carry serials starting with CVxxx ? :confused:

Original post

Member for

21 years

Hi,

silly question: Did any RAF aircraft ever carry serials starting with CVxxx ? :confused:

No.
It was a blank between BZ999 (a Liberator) to DD600 (a Mosquito).

Flood

Member for

20 years

Thanks.

Member for

21 years

You have a picture of a CVxxx serial?
An interesting fact is that the prefix letter 'C' was only used twice for British military serials: once in WWI in 1917 (C1-C9999) and for batches of Wellingtons in the NC range. There have been mistakes over the years, though: British Military Serials 1878-1987 (MCP) has a picture of Tiger Moth MC561, with the suggestion that it might be its Morris Cowley c/n.

Flood

Member for

24 years 6 months

Just a thought.. The photo is not of a Catalina is it???

Member for

20 years

Ehm ... I do not have any photo with a CV-Serial at all.

Well .... I´ve asked because of ... my new car´s number plate. :rolleyes:
Usually I choose "CV" (my initials) and four digits, the "MK" ist binding for our region. So the last ones were "MK-CV 1980" (the year I was born) and "MK-CV 5316" (the car was a 316). However, this car will be driven only from 4 (April) to 11 (November) thus eliminating one digit. So the next one will be "MK-CV 387" (month and year of built)

So I was courious, if there would have been by chance a RAF-plane with the same serial ...

Member for

24 years 6 months

Can't give you an RAF aircraft with CV 387

But Consolidated Canso (Canadian Licence build Catalina) had a Construction Number of CV 387 - This was Canso A with RCAF Serial Number 11069 and served with 3 OTU from 20th April 1944 until 24 August 1950