Confederate Air Force Airsho 1981.

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 5 months

Now that I've learned how to post pictures to a thread, here are some shots I took at the Confederate Air Force air show in October 1981. They are from scanned in slides so the quality may not be as up to the level of the latest digital pictures.

At that time the CAF were still displaying at Harlingen Airport near Brownsville Texas so the surrounding scenery is quite different from that of their current home at Midland.

I hope to add a few more shots later.

Original post

Member for

20 years 11 months

Very nice photos.Digital may be the new kid on the block but slides are still special.The only problem with slides is deterioration but digital may be the same in years to come.

Member for

20 years 1 month

Picture No.9 - What is / was this? Looks like twin engined B-17.

Member for

20 years 6 months

Picture No.9 - What is / was this? Looks like twin engined B-17.

I think it's a Douglas B23 Dragon.
Phil :)

Member for

20 years 1 month

Never seen a Dragon flying before - did it survive?

Member for

20 years 5 months

Yes, It's a B-23 Dragon. I think it's being lying semi-derelict in the US for a number of years. I'd love to see it flying again.

As a matter of interest, do the CAF still allow the B-17 to do that one main wheel up/one main wheel down touch and go? It always looked a bit dodgy to me.

Member for

20 years 9 months

The B-23 is still under restoration to fly, yes they still have it, but it's been under restoration for as long as I can remember...maybe someday it actuallly WILL fly....the routine with the one wheel with the B-17, nowadays it never touches the ground, they fly it by about 10 feet off the deck with the one wheel down....

Last (and only) show I attended at Harlingen was the last show they did there in '89, so I only ever saw the place once....a 36 hour bus ride from Denver! Went to the first 2 shows at Midland and liked it better if only for the fact it's a LOT closer...

Mark

Member for

19 years 11 months

If ya'll did not know the the B-23 Dragon was in fact designed from the B-18 Bolo. Also Jimmy Doolittle considered the B-23 his first choice for the Tokoyo raid but the airplane's wings wouldn't clear the elevator on the carrier deck.

Member for

20 years 5 months

This week, I've seen many old slides which where made digital and posted here. Thanks for posting them.

It's also the first time I see a pic of a flying B-23 after the war. Very nice! I hope it may fly again in the future! :cool:

J.V.

Member for

20 years 5 months

A few more from the 1981 CAF airshow. The last photo is rather sad. Even though it is slightly out of focus I decided to include it. It depicts the scrambling of a US Navy Bell UH-1 following the fatal crash of Sea Fury N11SF. The smoke from the post crash fire can be seen in the background drifting across the picture.

I have lots more images on slides and prints from my great USA trip of 1981 which I will endeavour to scan into my computer and post to the forum in due course.

Member for

20 years

I flew the Cat NB-N when it was in Oz...

Member for

20 years 5 months

Is it still flying?

I know the A-20 crashed not that long after I saw it.