Awesome 488 Squadron photos

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 6 months

I would be interested to know if any of these images were taken at Hunsdon while 488 were there.
The squadron were at Hunsdon from 9th October to 14th november re-equipping with the NF 30 from their Mk12 and Mk13's before deploying to Amiens

Member for

20 years 6 months

Adam, the mid citation read:
"In recognition of distinguished service and devotion to duty." according to By Such Deeds.

Denis, sorry I am not sure if any were taken at RAF Hunsdon.

Member for

13 years 9 months

Thanks for sharing these great pictures, Dave. Much appreciated!

Member for

20 years 6 months

Thanks Dave, if you do ever find out, please let me know!

Member for

18 years 7 months

Very enjoyable stuff - not only the aircraft and the men but also the airfield equipment, with those large RAF roundels.

I've long wanted to do a model of a 488 Sq. Mosquito, one coded ME.G (my wife Meg likes Mosquitos too) but I've never been able to find the appropriate serial. If you ever do find an appropriate photo, or logbook reference, I'd be very grateful.

Hi Graham,

Don't know if I've suggested this before, but you could do an FB.VI of 487 Sqn. Would be M-EG from the port side. HP852 and SZ985 were both M.

Member for

15 years 9 months

Thanks for the suggestion, good of you to dig it out for me. I believe this permits a Mk.VI in the Day Fighter colours as at least some of the 487 Sq Mossies had this. However, I'd still like to do a late nightfighter as well, and it would be a shame to miss the opportunity of that particular one. For obvious reasons, there are not a lot of photos of NF Mossies, which is what makes this particular set so valuable.