Awesome 488 Squadron photos

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 8 months

Another bunch.

Photo 5 - in this portrait of Ron, he's wearing a ribbon. According to what I've found out he was Mentioned in Despatches twice, but i don't have him being rewarded any specific medals for valour. Does anyone know what this medal is? Did MiD winners get a ribbon?

Not bad huh?

The ribbon is of the 1939-45 star although for it to be worn during the war it was still being referred to as the 1939-43 star - the dates changed towards the end of the war. This and the Africa star are the only WW2 campaign ribbons that were authorised during the war, the remainder were authorised after WW2. A Mention In Despatches is denoted by a single bronze okleaf which would be sewn directly to the tunic. Only one oakleaf was worn, regardless of how many "MiD"'s awarded. A certificate is awarded with each "MiD" though.

"Not Bad Huh?" - this must go down as one of the years understatements!

Had a chance to read Ron Watts' full story on your website too. What a guy!

Member for

20 years 6 months

Thanks Skypilot,

I had wondered if it were a campaign medal but I wasn't sure if these were issued during or after the war. Thanks for putting me straight on that one.

I'm very glad you enjoyed the written part of this amazing man's story. I found the earlier part about him training pilots in Britain as fascinating as his latter combat career. And what you guys don't benefit from when reading is hearing his voice, which was always enthusiastic and concise, recalling these amazing tales with clarity and ease, and always with a devilish sense of humour. We laughed a heck of a lot on the occasions when I interviewed him. In fact just recently he gave me a couple more funny stories that I must add in. One was about three different Air Force funerals he attended, and believe me I got nervous when he broached the subject thinking it was going to be rather sensitive and morbid. Far from it, all three are hilarious stories when he tells them, and each one made the funeral debacle in 'Piece of Cake' look tame!

Ron is a lively and charasmatic character and I have to say it has been a great pleasure to get to know him. He will be attending the Air Force reunion that I'm arranging in a few weeks time so I'm looking forward to perhaps a few more tales. :)

Here's a couple of photos of some of 488 (NZ) Sqn's men together again more than fifty years later. Ron, as always, is the bald one. :)

Attachments

Member for

24 years 8 months

Thanks Skypilot,

Here's a couple of photos of some of 488 (NZ) Sqn's men together again more than fifty years later. Ron, as always, is the bald one. :)

No probs!

Ermmm...aren't most of them bald! :D

Long may they continue to enjoy the peace they gave so much for. Gentlemen, I salute you.

Member for

20 years 6 months

[QUOTE=skypilot62]Ermmm...aren't most of them bald! :D QUOTE]

haha, yep. OK. it's a quiz, guess which bald old man is Ron. :D

Member for

24 years 8 months

Absolutely wonderful. Thank you so much for sharing them with us. Nice to see the sooties weren't forgotten too!

Member for

20 years 1 month

Thank's Dave, Top Stuff

I think Awesome is the word Dave ;) , Great to have some pics for the story on your site as well, It's fantastic to see the real business end of the aircraft we all love so much :) , Now day's they are really just big boy's toys :rolleyes: , Good to see you have been so constructive with your time since I have been away :D , Doing a great job Dave, Keep the Kiwi end up Mate :p , Cheer's all, Tally Ho! :dev2: Phil.

Member for

14 years 8 months

book Gilze-Rijen

Mister Homewood,

For the upcoming book about the Dutch airfield Gilze-Rijen (spring 2010) there are still some pictures needed to finish the manuscript. I'm interested in pictures of, for instance, 488 (NZ) Sqn on Night Fighter Mosquitos in the snow at Gilze-Rijen.

I do hope that you can help me a little bit!

Best regards,
Michael van der Zee
Neth Inst. for Military History
http://www.nimh.nl
[email]michael.zee@ziggo.nl[/email]

Member for

18 years 7 months

This is amazing, absolute amazing. Thank you so much for sharing. I feel inspired now, might try to share what few unpublished photos I have left too.

Again, thank you Homewood, and thank you so much to Ron Watts too.

Member for

21 years 1 month

Wonderful stuff. Where on earth did you manage to come by such a great collection?

Member for

20 years 6 months

WMR, I am away from home for the rest of the week but if you email me on [email]dave_daasnz@hotmail.com[/email] I will try to sort something out for you next week.

DCK and Mike. These amazing photos have been on my website along with many others for many years. I was loaned them to scan by Ron himself when I interviewed him about his career. He was one hell of a nice chap and really interesting and very funny. Sadly he passed away a few months ago.

Member for

14 years 8 months

book Gilze-Rijen

Mister Homewood,

thank you for your reply. I will mail you tomorrow, thanks again!

best wishes,

Michael

Member for

14 years 8 months

mail

Dave,

I'm experiencing difficulties in mailing you. Your mailadress is dave [email]daasnz@hotmail.com[/email] without any "bars" or "spaces", isn't it???

Michael

Member for

20 years 6 months

Sorry, for some reason that's wrong. It has an underscore, ie a _ in the gap.

[email]dave_daasnz@hotmail.com[/email]

Send a PM if it does not work.

Member for

14 years 8 months

..............................Can anyone work out what the blokes are doing behind Ron (in his shirt, tie and peaked cap) in the photo with the windmill?

Possibly trying to erect an aerial on the end of the branch? which is pushed into the ground. Poor resolution on the attachment photo, so cannot quite make out the sleeve badge seen there - is it a sparks badge? Also take a look at the box down by their feet, again poor resolution, but can I make out a headset/microphone with cables and controls? Is that a trailer mounted petrol generator on the right?

Just a wild guess of course!:)

Member for

11 years 3 months

Here's a snap that was taken inside. Originally it doesn't show much as its indoors. But I have also enhanced it, and it shows incredible detail which surprised me, from charts on the crewroom walls to models in the rafters. Very nostalgic indeed.

I have found an "original" print of this in my grandfather's belongings. He has annotated it "A Flight dispersal at Bradwell Bay" The individuals are named as: (Standing L-R) F/O Scott, S/L Watts (Sitting L-R) F/O Broodbank (My grandfather), F/O Robinson

Member for

20 years 6 months

Great stuff, thanks Adam.

Long long after I posted these photos I had the privilege last year of uniting the last three known aircraft of No. 488 (NZ) Squadron still living in New Zealand, at the Mosquito Launch and Honour Dinner at Ardmore. We had pilots Reg Mitchell and Des Hyland and Observer Murray Richardson there. All three had thought they were the last of the squadron till I put them in touch.

Member for

11 years 3 months

Good stuff Dave. I recently discovered a journal my grandfather kept of his time in the RAF during the war. It is a priceless collection of notes, and it includes his tour with 488. There is a photo of the JU88 that crash landed in their airfield. I also have a good photo portrait of his pilot, JH Scott, and interestingly a letter from Scott to my grandfather from India dated late 1945. I don't suppose anyone knows what happened to Scott after the war?

Member for

20 years 6 months

According to "By Such Deeds" by Gp Capt Colin Hanson, Flight Lieutenant John Hancock Scott mid was posted to No. 315 Maintenance Unit in India as a test pilot where he flew types including the Beaufighter, Hurricane, Mosquito, Spitfire and Thunderbolt. he then served as a Staff Pilot with No. 4 OCU, in the RAF. He left the RNZAF on 18th of February 1946. I don't know what he did after that. There is no date of death given in that book, which usually had the death noted if the person had died before publication in 2002, so he was likely still alive then, perhaps he still is.

Your grandfather's journal and photos sound very interesting indeed.

Member for

15 years 9 months

Very enjoyable stuff - not only the aircraft and the men but also the airfield equipment, with those large RAF roundels.

I've long wanted to do a model of a 488 Sq. Mosquito, one coded ME.G (my wife Meg likes Mosquitos too) but I've never been able to find the appropriate serial. If you ever do find an appropriate photo, or logbook reference, I'd be very grateful.

Member for

11 years 3 months

Graham - I will have a look through the journal, but I know that most entries relate only to the AC serial. There is one reference to a formation exercise they flew which listed aircraft by ME-? code, so I may be able to go through a process of elimination once I can tally up the code with the pilot, and x-ref against any flights my grandfather may have taken with that pilot.

If people are interested, I can post some of the photos once I have had time to scan them. Given that today is the 69th anniversary of D-Day, here is a scan of my grandfather's log for that day, showing his patrol on Line B.[ATTACH=CONFIG]217357[/ATTACH]

Attachments