Hurricane ID

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

21 years 5 months

Got this image from the son of a 345th FS, 350th FG pilot who has done a lot of research into his Dad's wartime squadron the 345th.

As some may remember, the 350th had 3 war weary Hurricane IIs that they converted to two seaters.

This is clearly not a two seater, but I'm thinking it is the war weary Hurri II of the 345th before they converted it to a two seater.

It appears the serial is KX857. I'm not sure if that is a possible Hurri serial or not. Yes I confesss I'm mostly a Spit snob :)

Anyway, I thought I'd throw it out there for the detectives on the off chance someone might be able to ID it.

Dan

Attachments
Original post

Member for

21 years 5 months

A close up of the two seat configuration. The beaten up appearance is similar to the other Hurricane photo

Dan

Attachments

Member for

24 years 7 months

Dan,

Fascinating photos.

KX857 a Hurricane IIc.

Mark

Member for

21 years 5 months

Wow! That was fast. Fascinating conversions those two seat kites :) Now I wonder if anyone has the record card for it floating around to track down the units it was with previously and if it notes being SOC or given to the 345th at some point.

One of the 345th pilots lives not too far from me and is a friend. He used to fly that two seat Hurri all the time. He dropped in at a Spit base on one occasion and the CO offered to trade him a Spit for it. As he was only a Flight Officer at the time, he said he didn't have the authority to do so. When he got back to base and told his CO, the CO couldn't believe he didn't make the deal! :)

He also took it up with the Squadron Doc when Mt. Vesuvius went up. They cruised over the top taking photos.

Dan

Member for

21 years 1 month

Air Britains RAF Aircraft KA100-KZ999 gives KX857 as one of a batch of 1455 Hurricane IIB, IIC, IID, and IVs delivered from Hawkers Kingston and Langley factorys between 11/1942 and 5/1943, noting that it went to the Middle East and that there was No Further Trace.

Flood

Member for

21 years 5 months

Air Britains RAF Aircraft KA100-KZ999 gives KX857 as one of a batch of 1455 Hurricane IIB, IIC, IID, and IVs delivered from Hawkers Kingston and Langley factorys between 11/1942 and 5/1943, noting that it went to the Middle East and that there was No Further Trace.

Flood

That no further trace being it's move to the USAAF 345th squadron as a hack no doubt :)

Thanks for the info

Dan