What happened to the remains of the Red Barons Dr.1

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

19 years 11 months

I watched Dogfight-The Red Baron (UK) on SBS last night :) , Great Show for all things building up too and during WW1, The show ended with his shooting down and the credit going to a Oz gunner on the ground, Hitting him under the right armpit in to his heart, Eyewitness reports said the Baron was still alive when he landed, But died soon after, The Dr.1 was complete when it landed and then was stripped by souvenir hunters :rolleyes: , Have bits of this plane ever turned up anywhere :confused: , Or has it disappeared completely :( , Cheers Chap, Tally Ho! Phil. :diablo: (must crash now, " Gut Nacht " ;) )

Original post

Member for

19 years 10 months

I remember reading several years ago about the owner of a verified piece of canvas from Richtofen's DrI commissioning an aviation artist to paint a picture so the two could be displayed next to each other, so there are pieces still around.

Member for

24 years 5 months

The Imperial War Museum building in London used to display an engine which was said to be from this aircraft. I saw it there many years ago, don't know if it's still on show (or genuine).

Member for

20 years

Having built the new Rev*** Dr.I last month, I remember that the parts are ... scattered? ... all over the world:
The wreckage (already lacking some things like the Balkenkreuz on the rudder) was given to the "3rd Sqn. of the Australian Air Corps" (?), and the most parts are said to be in a museum down under. The engine - Imperial War Museum, the seat - somewhere in Canada. (Aircraft, issue 66, about 1995).

Member for

20 years 2 months

Voss Aircraft

Seem to recall a Balkenkreuz being in the IWM? Or am I thinking of somewhere else?

Hi Aj_march

The plane you are thinking of is Werner Voss of Jagsta 10 who was killed in combat on 9/23/17. Their is a new bbok out about his last flight now if their is ever a mystery in who shot down a German Ace then this is the one that needs to be disected.

Cheers Crazymainer

Member for

19 years 11 months

The Australian War Memorial holds parts of the aircraft as well as the RB's boots.....

Member for

20 years 2 months

It was a great program, and it is good to see so many examples of those magnificent machines still flying too!

Member for

20 years 4 months

Doesn't the IWM at Lambeth also have a square of the fabric?

Member for

19 years 11 months

Thank's Gent's

Now that I think about it :rolleyes: , I can remember going to the AWM as a very young boy(MUST GO BACK), I must have seen something then :eek: , Because I was always drawing the Dr.1 in red and the Baron was a very early hero for me, Thanks Guys :) , Cheers all, Tally Ho! Phil. :diablo:

Member for

19 years 11 months

Thank's Dave

Heres a few pics :) , He had killers eyes I think :eek: , After doing the rounds on the net they say he flew a variety of Dr.1s, 425/17 being the only completely red one, Also mentions a complete Dr.1 152/17 that survived until WW2 in Berlin, It may not have survived the bombing of Berlin during this time, Anyone out there know if it did :confused: , Cheers Guys, ;) Tally Ho! Phil. :diablo:

Attachments

Member for

20 years

Also mentions a complete Dr.1 152/17 that survived until WW2 in Berlin, It may not have survived the bombing of Berlin during this time, Anyone out there know if it did :confused:

The aircraft in Berlin was Richthofen´s second airplane. I believe, with it he scored more victories than with the red-overall one. 152/17 was taken to Berlin and painted as the red one. The Fokker was on display until the 1940s, but removed, when the museum emptied. The only one, which could not be evacuated was the huge Do X flying boat. It was later destroyed during one of the several night bombing attacks. The Fokker is said beeing brought to Poland along other airframes, where most of them were destroyed during the Russian advance or vanished without a trace. A small number of airplanes (like Udet´s Curtiss Hawk) survived and is now with the museum of Krakau(?).

Attachments

Member for

20 years 1 month

DR I part

I recall seeing some parts...engine, etc. attributed to Von Richthofen's plane at the Battle of Britian Museum at Hawkenge about 10 years ago.

Member for

20 years 4 months

The rudder is in the reception area / hall at Hendon.... last year.....

Member for

19 years 11 months

Are there any W.W.1 Dr.1s left at all?

Thank's Gents ;) , Pitty the other Dr.1s gone aswell :( , Wars sure do have a habit of wiping out history while making there own :rolleyes: , Cheers Lads, Tally Ho! Phil. :diablo:

Member for

19 years 11 months

The pilot's seat of 425/17 is on display somewhere in Canada. On more than one occasion, the rivet holes at the back of the seat has been described as bullet holes!

One of the aeroplanes flown by von Richthofen was a two-seat Albatros C IX. Apparently, he used it as a personal "run-about". The C IX ended up at the Berlin Museum as well, with an interesting twist. After the War was over, von Richthofens family is said to have donated the Albatros to a Swedish vicar. The vicar had corresponded with von Richthofen until his death, and after that, with his family. Due to the Versailles Treaty, the Albatros remained in Germany. It was displayed in Berlin with a sign saying that it was owned by the Swedish vicar! I heard this story from a Swede who had visited the Berlin Air Museum sometime in the 'thirties.

Re the Berlin Air Museum, I believe no complete list of its aeronautical exhibits exist. Very few photographs, apart from official post cards, survive as well, due to a strict ban on cameras.

Regards,

Jan

Member for

20 years 9 months

There's parts of the a/c at RAAF Point Cook... Not so far from Essendon, old boy! They may be the AWM bits.

There was a good article on the Berlin Museum, with photos in a German mag, it is possible to work out what was there. Among other treasures, there was a Hurricane (article in Flypast) the Me309 (?) DoX as mentioned etc...

Member for

20 years 10 months

The Messerschmitt 209 still exists (fuselage only) in Poland. I've got a book about it at home, that I bought when researching my first (rather crap!) novel...