Battle of Britain DVD in NZ

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 6 months

Today, by complete co-incidence being Battle of Britain day, I walked into a store and saw the BofB film DVD on the shelf. It is now available in New Zealand! Yey! I didn't think they'd release it here and I was planning to order it from the UK.

I of course bought it, (NZ$39.95 which is less than it would have cost to oreder from Britain I think taking into account the exchange rate, bank fees and postage!).

And tonight I watched 'Battle For The Battle of Britain".

What a great documentary. I was compelled by all that footage taken during rehearsals, etc., from different angles. Just stunning. And the story was well told too. I'd have liked to have seen more of the interviews that were obviously done for the press, with Jurgen and Richardson, and the real Dowding, etc.

And what about those dopey idiots at the beginning who didn't know what the Battle of Britain was!!! :eek: I hope the film educated these fools - the American War of Independence indeed!!!! And the girl who says the Americans must have won the battle, because the British can't have. I wish I was there to slap her!

The film is fantastic all cleaned up and with new sound. I wish they'd cleaned the print for the documentary though, but it is still great to have with all the dust and artifacts.

Kiwis, Whitcoulls has the DVD, as do other shops now. I highly recommend it.

As for the day itself, I'm not aware if anything special happened here, but I assume New Zealand Warbirds and the AFC probably put on their respective annual BofB Day flying display tributes. Does anyone know?

Lest we forget.

Original post

Member for

20 years 5 months

Hi Dave

Hate to be a B!#@&!!! but the same thing happened here today in Brisvegas(Brisbane ) and it's in Borders for $24.00 !!!! if you want any copies let me know

John P

Member for

20 years 6 months

Hi John,

No worries. Again the exchange rate and postage would be a factor, so that would be almost as much as I paid anyway, though maybe a few bucks cheaper via you. I have just watched the other docos and I think its worth every penny I paid.

I also just watched ten minutes with the voiceover commentary. A pity no-one realised the camera guy doing the voiceover was calling Hurricanes 'Spitfires' and the Ju52 a 'Stuka' before final edit. :confused:

Cheers
Dave

Member for

20 years 5 months

Hi Dave

Yep you are right about the costs but if you need more you can probably do a good deal at Borders if you have it there. I would have happly paid $40 for it here in fact I was going to pay whatever I needed to in the UK.

Just a point on Region encoding - here in Aus most DVD players play anything because it's not illegal to sell multi region players so most companies do.

Regards
John P