Strange places..........!

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 2 months

Strange place to keep an aeroplane !
Here is a jet provost serial XM425 stored on top of a local garage in
Stoke On Trent, wondered wether any one else had pics of planes in strange places !

Xm425 has been there about two years now.

Attachments
Original post

Member for

20 years 6 months

Best place to keep a JP3 I reckon!

Member for

24 years 8 months

We've got one in the basement of our university too (sorry, the file size of the photos is too big to post them).

Member for

20 years 6 months

Didn't there used to be a Meteor at a garage in Hastings?

There was also a Vickers Viking at Vic's Viking motors, somewhere in South Africa, which I think was replaced by a Shackleton (mmmmm, Shackleton.....), now hideously disfigured in Coca-Cola colours. Any pictures, Forumites?

Member for

24 years 8 months

And has anyone seen the dreadful way the Science Museum has "displayed" the Shorts SC.1? Hanging on a wall on its side with the undercarriage removed; what a way to treat an historic aeroplane.

Member for

24 years 8 months

We've got one in the basement of our university too (sorry, the file size of the photos is too big to post them).

Reminds me of getting a Yak 11 out of a basement a few years ago, it must have been put in there before all the services as it was impossible to get the wing out either vertically or horizontally so we had to carry the thing lent over at 45 degrees through a number of passages in this basement until we finally got it outside to the point where the crane could lift it on to the lorry!!!!

Member for

20 years 5 months

A Shack that really drives you to drink!

Attachments

Member for

20 years 6 months

Isn't (or wasn't) there a Lancaster on top of a garage in Canada?

And also a B17 on a garage in the USA?

Member for

24 years 8 months

and at one time a P40 in the US, which is now flying again.

Member for

20 years 2 months

The B-17 has left the roof of the garage

Profile picture for user Peter

Member for

24 years 8 months

the lancaster was sitting on its wheels beside a garage but was destroyed in a ground runnning fire the serial was KB885

Member for

20 years 6 months

Yep - theres still at Meteor at a garage in hastings - been there years now but they really look after it

Member for

24 years 8 months

Theres a Bucc at a filling station in Elgin-Gulf War veteran too.

Member for

20 years 2 months

how could they do that to that poor shack ?

ought to be a law against that

Member for

24 years 8 months

Well, at least its not mouldering away in Cyprus-or Duxford for that matter!

Member for

24 years 8 months

addwebber - They swapped it for the Viking that was on the roof of the garage. The Shackleton Mr.3 isn't incredibly rare in S.A whereas the Viking is unique ! It's a matter of saving the valuable stuff.

Member for

20 years 2 months

i don't doubt for a second that preserving the rare ones is the better choice, shacks may not be rare yet but they will be surely, that wasn't my point anyway.the point was the paint scheme.

coincidently , exactly how many shacks are there left now?

i know of air atlantiques two.......... coventry and the U.S
that coke one.......
what happenned to that South African one that crashed ?

Member for

20 years 2 months

Der any pics of that Bucc, ones i got are quite old

Member for

20 years 5 months

The Shackleton (Pelican16 - 1716) that crashed is still there, well some of it!
About three years ago some of the crew re-visited it and found that it had been stripped from the cockpit rearwards.
During Gatwick Aviation Musems open weekend recently we were delighted to meet a couple of guys working on the Mk3 (XF708) at Duxford. It seems that they took it upon themselves to start cleaning the inside etc. They have had some support from the management and have got the de-humidifiers going. We obviously offered our support in their efforts, lets hope others do also!

Member for

24 years 8 months

Yep - theres still at Meteor at a garage in hastings - been there years now but they really look after it

Confirmed!! I finally caught up with it in April. I was suprised to find it looking so good. Glad it is though. It's a T7 which is quite a rare mark these days (although no doubt somebody will prove me wrong).
If my memory is correct it has wing tanks on it, not many preserved Meteors do (although, yet again, somebody is bound to prove me wrong)
Sadly, all my local Rover garage has outside it is new Rovers!!

Willow

Member for

20 years 3 months

There used to be a Hunter on top of a building on the A40 near Hangar Lane. The building was owned by a removals and storage company. The Hunter only made an appearence during the summer months though.