Memphis Belle restoration

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 6 months

Something (probably the miserable weather in West Sweden just now) has prompted me to offer these pix for your delectation. Taken last year at Millington, Tennessee, during a fantastic 4-week trip through the mid-west USA with BAES.
They show most of the parts, including a row of 4 engines.

Original post

Member for

20 years 6 months

The other side, note the different colour of the girl's (minimal) clothing

Member for

20 years 6 months

The plaque detailing this magnificent achievement

Member for

20 years 6 months

Next

Member for

20 years 6 months

The tail cone, tail gunner's cramped position

Member for

20 years 6 months

Finally . . . the ball turret, even more cramped!

Member for

20 years 6 months

Papa Lima, is this the real Memphis Belle?

Member for

20 years 6 months

Absolutely!
Rescued from the ravages of weather and vandals after 16 years on Mud Island just outside Memphis. Now the property of the US Air Force Museum, Dayton, but being restored on lease by the Memphis Belle Memorial Association.

Member for

20 years 6 months

What can I say. Beautifull pics.

I hope that the weather in Sweden stays miserable. Then you might find some time to post more of these great items!:D :p :D

Is it restored for static display?

Member for

20 years 5 months

So whats with the Memphis Belle painted on the Sally B then? :confused:

Member for

20 years 6 months

The one I photographed was the genuine article, due in 1946 to be scrapped at Altus, Oklahoma, but an anonymous Memphis donor provided money to save the aircraft for posterity. After 16 years at Mud Island she is now being restored in a climate-controlled hangar.

Member for

21 years 5 months

Originally posted by Kye
So whats with the Memphis Belle painted on the Sally B then? :confused:

This is left over from Sally-B's time as one of the 5 B-17's used in the making of the movie-film 'Memphis Belle'.
Quite why this is case some 16 years after filming finished remains a complete mystery to me.....:confused: :eek:

Member for

20 years 11 months

Great pictures. I just finished reading the book The Man Who Flew The Memphis Belle, which is a great book about the experiences of the pilot Robert Morgan.

Member for

21 years 1 month

Originally posted by Firebird
This is left over from Sally-B's time as one of the 5 B-17's used in the making of the movie-film 'Memphis Belle'.
Quite why this is case some 16 years after filming finished remains a complete mystery to me.....:confused: :eek:

As a reminder of the aircraft's film role?

Surely the 'Belle must rank as one of the best-preserved examples of a warbird in original condition?

Member for

24 years 8 months

Originally posted by Papa Lima
Absolutely!
Rescued from the ravages of weather and vandals after 16 years on Mud Island just outside Memphis. Now the property of the US Air Force Museum, Dayton, but being restored on lease by the Memphis Belle Memorial Association.

Here are a couple of shots of the THE 'Memphis Belle' on Mud Island, Memphis, in June 1999.

Like the Spitfire TE184 at Halton, I think the poor state of presentation and condition has been a little overstated.

Under a massive well ventilated 'Dome' structure, I thought she looked rather splendid.

Mark

Attachments

Member for

24 years 8 months

... and.

Attachments

Member for

20 years 6 months

Apparently the biggest problem was vandalism and parts being stolen, also birds nesting inside. This according to Peter Cash, our tour guide at Millington.

Member for

24 years 8 months

Originally posted by DazDaMan
As a reminder of the aircraft's film role?

Surely the 'Belle must rank as one of the best-preserved examples of a warbird in original condition?

The original paint scheme is completely different to the film scheme anyhow, different nose art and camoflage etc.

Still, dont care too much as its the B17 flying in the air that i care about most although the wierd paint scheme does baffle me.

Member for

24 years 8 months

Originally posted by DazDaMan

I'm a little puzzled by this comment, Daz, as Sally B has been extensively modified over the years. Originally built with the late type "Cheyenne" turret, all the turrets were removed when she was used for the research with the USAF. There were more mods for the role as an aerial photography aircraft with the French. Then when she was brought to Britain, she was modified for the "Memphis Belle" movie with the Cheyenne tail turret installation being replaced by an earlier style... so she's had a fair bit of messing about done. This is in no way a criticism of B17 Preservation, as they've done a wonderful job restoring her to a representative condition, but it's not "preserved original condition", as far as I can see.

Look at P7350 for a nice preserved warbird in original condition ;)

Member for

21 years 1 month

No no, dear boy, the original 'Belle is what I meant! ;)

Of course, P7350 is a beautifully preserved beast, too... ;)

Attachments

Member for

21 years 3 months

I think Daz was referring to 'Memphis Belle' (ie: the real one), not 'Sally B' !