Cessna model-numbering system?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

13 years 11 months

I'm doing a magazine article on the full restoration of the number-one production Cessna 172, which won the Vintage Contemporary category as Oshkosh last summer.

Which got me wondering: How did Cessna come up with the designations 120, 140, 170, 172 and others of the 100-series single-engine aircraft? (No need to get into the 200s, 300s, 400s...) The only semi-logical explanation I've ever heard is that 172 is the square footage of the wing area, but in fact the wing area is 174 square feet, and they never called the Skyhawk a 174.

Did Cessna just pull these numbers out of...thin air? When car manufacturers come up with numeric and alphanumeric designators, there is always some relationship to displacement, number of cylinders or doors, or something of the sort, but I can't imagine what Cessna's rationale was. Certainly they're not engineering-model designators, like what Porsche uses.

Any thoughts?

Original post

Member for

19 years 10 months

Good question...
William Thompson (long time Cessna engineer and test pilot) doesn't have an answer in his exhaustive book Cessna, Wings for the World, The Single-Engine Development Story, one of three volumes covering the maker.
Likewise, Juptner's ATC series and Phillips' Cessna history don't say.

My guess is as the first Cessna post war type, they wanted a "modern" or new numbering system. The less expensive and basic 120 received its ATC a week before the 140...but that doesn't answer anything...why not call it the 100 or 110?
Even the even-odd theory goes out the window when the four seat 170 appeared.

To further confuse things, the prototype 190 was the P-780.

Either they had some clever master plan (leaving 150 free for the eventual replacement of the 120/140) or they just got lucky.

I suppose some numbers "sound" better than others - most of the Cessna model numbers sound good to me (Cessna 120 sounds better than Cessna 100; Cessna 320 and 303 never seem quite right for example), or is it just that they have been part of my life since I was about five or six so they make sense through familiarity?

A theory might be that the 172 was the second version of the 170 (change to nose wheel) so it's the 170-2; same with the 150 and 152, 180 and 182, but then why 175 and 185?. And why was the late (and unlamented?) Skycatcher the 162?

I am puzzled by Boeing and Airbus too. They used consecutive model numbers for many years starting at 100; yet the Boeing 747 suddenly leaped from 400 to 800, the A380 and 787 start at 800, and the A350 at 900. Weird... And again 707, 727, etc, just sound right to me - but is that familiarity?

I reckon you'd get a whole article out of the subject Stephan, albeit one with no firm conclusion...

Member for

11 years 1 month

I do remember reading in an interview with a Cessna engineer that the idea for a center thrust twin (push pull) came from the Dornier 335 hence the Cessna 336 and 337