AP1086 Section 5B - Aircraft Wiring Assemblies

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

12 years 3 months

Has anybody got a copy of AP1086 Section 5B - Aircraft Wiring Assemblies, please?

I'm looking for something which identifies what system items with a 5B reference were part of, and ideally what connector types are fitted.

There is a splendid resource of cables available for sale here, http://www.aerovintagespares.com/avspares/5B_-_Aircraft_Wiring_Assemblies.html but it's difficult to know just what each item is. I did phone them a while ago, but they can only supply to the part number without being able to give any details.

Many thanks,

Andy

Original post

Member for

17 years 4 months

Hi Andy,

I have a Feb 1952 copy of AP1086 Book 3 Part 2 Sec 5B, please see attached picture of the first page.

Although the listing does generally detail what aircraft/engine the cable was fitted to there doesn't appear to be any breakdown for connector ident etc, the drawing numbers are provided for most assemblies and this would be where the detail parts would be found.

If you let me know the Sec/ref numbers of the items you're looking at/for I'll see if they're in this edition.

Regards

Dave

[ATTACH=CONFIG]254888[/ATTACH]

Attachments

Member for

12 years 3 months

Dave,
Thanks for your reply.
I appreciate that the information I'm looking for wasn't the reason for AP1086 being created in the first place. My own interest is in aircraft radio/radar/avionic systems from the WW2 and cold-war eras, collecting the equipment and interconnecting it where possible. I have a specific interest in the Lancaster systems. Often, the hard parts to find are connectors and complete cable assemblies. So my particular quest here is to try to understand what exactly the cable assemblies listed on that website are intended for. I think it would be useful if we had a chat, I assume the phone number shown on your ebay listings will get you, I'll try tomorrow morning (on the assumption you don't want to be disturbed at the weekend!) if that's OK?

Many thanks,
Andy

Member for

12 years 3 months

Many thanks to Dave for scanning his copy of Section 5B, it's very much appreciated!

Andy

Member for

10 years 7 months

As Andy mentioned; the hardest parts to find are the Plessey Breeze plugs and sockets.
As these were cast from zinc alloy material they corrode and disintegrate easily. (We've had all manner of fun trying to salvage them from our Car Door Typhoon project... and still need more!)

Member for

24 years 7 months

Breeze sockets aren't too hard, although the post war type are easier to find. Andy regularly has them from me.

If there is a particular size/configuration you need, let me know, and I will see what I can do.

Bruce

Member for

10 years 7 months

Thanks, Bruce;
I'll keep it in mind for the future. I say that because it has been decided by the powers that be that the Tiffie is bound for the museum at the end of August and we reckon there are still a couple of years work to go to make it a presentable exhibit.
The reasoning is that it has been ordained that it will go to the museum in order that our various sponsors can see where their donations have gone.
Unfortunately, there are no workshop facilities at the museum site; (and we're not even half-way there, financially to get one started)... and 'elf and safety preclude continuing work in the museum proper.
So, it looks like its back and forth from the cowshed to the museum to measure up, which rather creates a timescale problem with firewall /frame A/ decking panel fettling and fit.

Member for

12 years 2 months

So how can the powers at be expect a complete exhibit in a reasonable time when they are putting restrictions on the work involved?

Don't make sense to me one bit.

Regards

Jason