Central Gunnery School Leconfirld - Early 1950's

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

19 years 1 month

Hi all

I am hoping someone can help in a quest to know what the colour scheme would have been of the Spitfires on establishment at the Central Gunnery School at Leconfield in the early 1950s. I am thinking they may have been all over grey or silver but perhaps I am wrong on that.

Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Original post

Member for

13 years 2 months

I was at CGS during the time that time. I have searched my photo archives and unfortunately don't have a photo of any Spits but I have a vague recollection they were indeed grey or silver. Like other pilots there, I had my name on list to fly one before they were phased out, but unfortunately my name never got to the top in time. May I ask why you are interested in the CGS (later FWS)?

Member for

24 years 8 months

Images and data to hand show the Spitfires to be low back Mk XVI's painted in 'Silver aluminium' finish with C.1 roundels and codes FJT, FJV and FJW.

It is conceivable that by the early 1950's some Spitfires may have carried the later D roundels.

Mark

Member for

19 years 1 month

Many thanks for the responses, the reason I am interested is because my Air Cadet Sqm had an ex CGS Spitfire as a gate guard in the early 1950s and the b&w photographs of the time make it difficult to extinguish the colour.

Member for

24 years 8 months

Several surviving Mk XVI Spitfires served with the Central Gunnery School including TE184 that was allotted to ground instructional and passed to 1855 Squadron ATC at Royton Lancs in 1952. This Spitfire arrived at Royton in standard Silver Aluminium paint finish ( with type D Roundels :) ) and was latterly repainted on site in either a very bright non standard Silver finish or, more probably in my view, White overall.

If this is your Spitfire you may be interested to know it currently flies in Europe and departed the UK a couple of weeks ago bound for the Czech Republic in Otto Smik's colours with new codes 9N-B.

Mark