Strange Insignia

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

12 years 6 months

Came across these amazing photo's from the SDASM archives.
My question being what insignia are these inverted triangles ??
According to "WIKKI" these aircraft did serve with the Dutch in the East Indies.
But they do not look very orange to me.
http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii120/Duggy009/Duggy009-1/Ryan%20-%20ST-Seaplane-1.jpg
http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii120/Duggy009/Duggy009-1/Ryan%20-%20ST-Seaplane.jpg
Thanks in advance Duggy.

Original post

Member for

16 years 9 months

Dutch 'roundels ' in use from 1939-1942

Member for

16 years 7 months

Didn't/don't one or more of the Arab countries have a triangular insignia? Iraq springs to mind.

Beautiful pics, Duggy.

Anon.

Member for

18 years 7 months

It's Dutch. Colours are a bit distorted, but it's orange.

Member for

15 years 9 months

hi,
thank you Duggy, for finding and showing them they are grand pictures crystal clear...

regards,
jack...

Member for

15 years 1 month

Dutch 'roundels ' in use from 1939-1942

Officialy used to 1945. But in Europe, after the German invasion, only been used in a small version on RAF aircraft flown by Dutch crews.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]252303[/ATTACH]

And after the war used by this aircraft on flights from the Netherlands to the Dutch East Indies.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]252304[/ATTACH]

Attachments

Member for

15 years 1 month

Didn't/don't one or more of the Arab countries have a triangular insignia? Iraq springs to mind.

Beautiful pics, Duggy.

Anon.

All these use(d) triangle shaped roundels

Estonia
Mexico
Myanmar
Botswana
South Yemen
Iraq

See my webside for more information.

Member for

12 years 6 months

Thanks everyone , so it is probably a STM-S2 variant of STM-2 with interchangeable wheel landing gear or floats for Netherlands East Indies Navy; 13 built.
According to "WIKKI" :)

Member for

24 years 8 months

For a period in the early 1970's Spitfire Mk XI PL965 was so marked when on display at the Overloon museum in Holland.

Mark

Image by Harry van der Meer.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v634/Mark12/Album%206/11-PL965%207Overloon%201971%20Big%20Red%20Triangle%20via%20Harry%20van%20der%20Meer%20Peter%20R%20Arnold%20%20Collection%2001_zps4fgh3gvb.jpg

Member for

12 years 6 months

Thanks, one more question .
Is it true that Dutch Hurricanes in the East Indies that served briefly.
That there is no photographic history, of these aircraft with the orange triangle??
Or is this an internet myth?

Member for

15 years 8 months

Thanks, one more question .
Is it true that Dutch Hurricanes in the East Indies that served briefly.
That there is no photographic history, of these aircraft with the orange triangle??
Or is this an internet myth?

Nope it is not an internet myth...
I have this '60's book on Military Aviation in the Dutch East Indies. And there is a question to the reader if there are any photo's around of the Dutch Hurricanes....

They served so briefly that there was no time to take a picture.....

Member for

20 years 9 months

I remember that there is one photo somewhere that shows a Hurricane being moved (without wings) towards an aerodrome (or being assembled), somewhere in the Dutch East Indies. As it is a head-on shot the markings cannot be seen. That is supposed to be the only photo of a Dutch Hurricane.

Member for

19 years 10 months

I'm no markings expert, but that is one insignia I do know.

When I was a child there was plastic model kit of a Dutch Ryan on floats.. complete with molded "water" base. It was a 1/48th scale kit by HAWK. I always used to see it at the model shop.

Anyone else recall that?