Mustang A68-5/G-ARKD

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

19 years 4 months

there was talk a little while ago about this aircraft and that it may have survived,rather than the usual talk of it being being scrapped at Athens airport.....any other rumours about it?

Original post

Member for

17 years 9 months

oz rb fan
Restored to the British register on 6/6/2012 to a French company , and under restoration in Suffolk UK.
hth
G-ANPK

Member for

15 years 6 months

That one passed me by, how much actually was left? Would be great to see it in the scheme in the link.
Rob

Member for

13 years 3 months

Does anyone know if this Mustang was the one that Ron Flockhart was flying and in which he was involved in a fatal accident ?

Member for

24 years 6 months

Wikipedia says 'no'

Flockhart subsequently entered the London-Cardiff Air Race to be held in June that year but withdrew because G-ARKD was still in Athens.[2] G-ARKD was abandoned and another CAC Mustang, registered VH-UWB, was bought in Australia for Flockhart to make a second attempt at the Sydney-London record.[2] On 12 April 1962, while on a test flight in preparation for the record attempt, Flockhart crashed VH-UWB in poor weather near Kallista, Victoria and was killed

Member for

13 years 3 months

Thank you.

Member for

19 years 4 months

thanks every one.

Member for

16 years 6 months

Looked these two Mustangs up in Jackson's BCA 1919 -1972 Vol III.
G-ARKD, "abandoned at Athens following engine trouble and cockpit fire 7.9.61, still there in 1969".
VH-UWB was apparently repainted as G-ARUK 4.4.62 and crashed 12.4.62. Any photos exist of G-ARUK?

Member for

14 years 4 months

I've seen a magazine article about Flockhart's Mustang crash recently (give or take, last 2 years), which included photos. I cannot recall if it was in a motorsport or aviation mag however. Anyone?

Member for

7 years 6 months

I would maybe suggest it be a data plate restoration?

Member for

19 years 2 months

Looked these two Mustangs up in Jackson's BCA 1919 -1972 Vol III.
G-ARKD, "abandoned at Athens following engine trouble and cockpit fire 7.9.61, still there in 1969.
VH-UWB was apparently repainted as G-ARUK 4.4.62 and crashed 12.4.62. Any photos exist of G-ARUK?

http://edcoatescollection.com/ac1/austmz/VH-UWB.html

Only one I can find!

Profile picture for user Zac Yates

Member for

16 years 1 month

I'm sure I've seen photos of 'RUK too. Possibly in Classic Wings/Downunder? I seem to remember a front-3/4 shot with Ron standing next to it, the caption stating that it was an hour or so before the crash.

Member for

16 years 6 months

Good to see that photographs do exist of this aircraft wearing it's very short lived British registration: on the UK register for a mere eight days.

Member for

19 years 4 months

i must admit the only pics i have found of RUK were the ones shown and a couple of it straight out of RAAF service as VH-UWB....still wearing it's basic RAAF target tug scheme...seems odd there are no other pics of her as VH-UWB.

Always found it slightly odd that Ron Flockhart died near Kallista; I did wonder if the actress Calista Flockhart who was born a couple of years later is related but it seems to be a coincidence...

Member for

20 years 7 months

She is married to Harrison Ford, so there is certainly an aviation connection there! ;) IMDB states that she is named after two great-grandmothers, both of whom had the middle name Calista. Her great-grandparents that provided the Flockhart name were Scottish immigrants so perhaps there is a distant family connection, seeing as Ron Flockhart was born in Edinburgh.
(How is that for thread-drift.....)

Member for

19 years 2 months

Well, more drift, Mrs. C Flockhart (possibly Christine) lived in Woollahra, NSW in 1902 and Miss C Flockhart lived in Homebush, Sydney, NSW in 1920.

Member for

19 years 10 months

One interesting detail is if there will be published photos of the "recovery" of whatever they recovered. If we look back at recoveries from all over the world in the last 40 years there has usually been some kind of "hero photos" published, to celebrate the end of a long search, and to document the latest treasure. Over the last few years this seems to have changed to an attitude of "I don't have to show you anything". Which is true, but then the questions and accusations of data- plate restorations will never die down. And when did owners become that negative to show off what they have found, if they have indeed found something? Well, we'll just have to wait to see what shows up in the future.

As for Ron Flockhart and the P-51s, Warbirds International just published a feature about that in their Mustangs Intl. Magazine which I'm currently reading. Full of photos of both Mustangs as well!

T J

Member for

24 years 6 months

But often people don't believe you anyway. Take Maurice Hammonds second Mustang, which he recovered from somewhere in Italy, having crashed in the war. He supplied pictures of the wreckage, but a number of commentators refused to believe it were true. Ho Hum..