B-25 At Coventry Airport

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

11 years 6 months

Saw the B-25 post and then it reminded me on that one has gone missing.I seem to think it went to North Weald for restoration.Has anybody seen it.

Original post

Member for

24 years 8 months

Its in Belgium being restored

Member for

20 years 6 months

This will help you.

http://www.bamfbamrs.be/B25/B25-en.htm

''This B-25 is a Movie Star. It flew in movie Catch-22 as "Laden Maiden" in 1968-1969.

Later on in 1978 it flew in "Hannover Street" as 151632 "Georgeous George-Ann" and later "Thar She Blows".

After this last film, it was stored, changed hands several times and was stored at various location like Coventry Airport where it was parked at a place called 'Rock Farm'. It finished in a dismantled condition at Sandtoft.

There its condition, slowly but certainly, deteriorated.

In December 2004, a member of the BAMRS discovered in "Flypast" news, that a B-25 stored near Hull was on sales after demise of the Imperial Aviation Group.

A small project team was created and studied the possibility to raise funds for the project to buy and convoy the aircraft to Belgium, to find a place to store the aircraft during the restoration and a definitive place for display.

Just before the New Year 2005/6, the Brussels Air Museum Fundation (BAMF) gave her formal approval to house the administrative and financial aspects of the project. In January 2006, the board of directors gave the official approval.
A bid was placed, which was accepted:............''

Member for

19 years 10 months

I've always been surprised that the "Hanover Street" B-25s never could a place in the UK warbird world as airworthy or static.

You'd think someone would have valued them..after all they could be painted in RAF colours.

Member for

17 years 11 months

I don't know about other forum members but I think that the B-25 is, without question, the most boring (significant) aircraft that fought in the Second World War!

I remember the B-25 in question at Coventry Airport; that would have been sometime between 1991 and 1994. It was in a dismantled condition and was in desert camouflage.

Member for

13 years 5 months

I don't know about other forum members but I think that the B-25 is, without question, the most boring (significant) aircraft that fought in the Second World War!

I don't know how you've come to that conclusion, it had a great track record in variety of roles, was much loved by its crews, carried out the legendary Doolittle raid, and was a nightmare to Japanese shipping. They participated in some of the most daring, most dangerous missions of the war, so I don't think they deserve to be called boring.

Member for

19 years 8 months

Clearly you have never flown one or in one CD! Stunning history too

Member for

20 years 6 months

One is static, at the RAF museum Hendon

51632 Gorgeous George Ann / Thar She Blows B-25J-30NC 44-30925 N9494Z Brussels Air Museum
151645 Marvellous Miriam B-25J-20NC 44-29366 N9115Z RAF Museum Hendon
151790 Amazing Andrea B-25J-30NC 44-86701 N7681C Destroyed – Hangar Fire
151863 Big Bad Bonnie B-25J-30NC 44-86843 N9455Z Grissom Air Museum Indiana
151724 Brenda’s Boys B-25J-20NC 44-29121 N86427 Museo del Aire, Madrid, Spain

One or two did some air displays in '79 and '80 including Biggin Hil sept 1980 when Don Bullock(A26) and Jeff Hawke both flew to the very limit of safety, and then some. Seven people died in the Invader.

There was a group which formed at Wellesbourne to operate one of the Mitchells, but it never managed much. I think the only long-term operator of a Mitchell in the UK has been The Fighter Collection , and they let theirs go in 2003 after 15 years.

The type remains quite an affordable and numerous warbird, probably half the price of a Mustang, but expensive to operate, and in our climate, needing hangarage as well.

I hope we get another one here, to join the Dutch and French flyers, oh and Red Bull (Austria) as well.

Member for

20 years 9 months

...to join the Dutch and French flyers, oh and Red Bull (Austria) as well.

Unfortunately the French one hasn't flown much since its belly landing in a field in 2011.

Member for

17 years 11 months

I don't know how you've come to that conclusion, it had a great track record in variety of roles, was much loved by its crews, carried out the legendary Doolittle raid, and was a nightmare to Japanese shipping. They participated in some of the most daring, most dangerous missions of the war, so I don't think they deserve to be called boring.

I hasten to add that my personal opinion that the B-25 is 'boring' is no reflection whatsoever on the combat exploits of these aircraft or the undoubted bravery and sacrifice of their crews!

However, for me, none of this seems to transfer any interest to the B-25 airframe itself.

Clearly you have never flown one or in one CD!

Unfortunately, I've never had that opportunity.....but then I've never flown in a Hampden either.

Member for

19 years 8 months

Lots of power, sports Car!

Member for

20 years

151863 Big Bad Bonnie B-25J-30NC 44-86843 N9455Z Grissom Air Museum Indiana

I think you will find that N9455Z is actually 44-30210 and is as far as I know still owned by Trent Latshaw of Tulsa, OK. Last said to be under restoration for him.

One or two did some air displays in '79 and '80 including Biggin Hil sept 1980 when Don Bullock(A26) and Jeff Hawke both flew to the very limit of safety, and then some. Seven people died in the Invader.
Hawke did fly N9115Z at several airshows in that timeframe. I seem to remember a story of the movie made top turret coming off in flight during one display.

There was a group which formed at Wellesbourne to operate one of the Mitchells, but it never managed much.

I think Hawke was involved with that group as well as Rodney Small, and N9455Z was the aircraft used. It blew an engine and sat for some time in Avignon before Dave Tallichet and a crew fixed it up, and flew it back to California.

T J

Member for

11 years 6 months

Well thanks to all for their interest and replies,its a shame that nothing was done with the aircraft in this country but at least its going to be restored and not too far away in belgium.

Member for

17 years 11 months

Its going to be a big job though, i was told a lot had been stolen from it over the years including at least one engine!

Member for

17 years 11 months

At Coventry Airport

[ATTACH=CONFIG]250709[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]250710[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]250711[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]250712[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]250713[/ATTACH]

Attachments

Member for

19 years 8 months

Thanks for your photos, Warhawk69 -- you beat me to it.

On May 22, 1991 I was being chauffeured around by Johnny Gauntlett DFC, a two-tour Liberator skipper with 159 and 99 Squadrons out of India in '43 - '45. He pulled in to a fenced, but open, compound off of the Coventry airport somewhere (I seem to think it was on the south side...can't find the spot on GoogleEarth), where we saw the dismantled pieces of Laden Maiden/Gorgeous George-Ann just rotting away. Further back in the yard I think there was at least one Harvard.

I pulled out my camera and took these six shots, including one where I popped my head into the fuselage to look toward the cockpit.

My scanner is acting up, so these are digital camera images of color prints. The colors in the prints are OK, but the attached photos of photos are quite yellowy from indoor lighting -- unlike Warhawk69's. No time to tweak colors. I don't see any evidence of the blue spraypainted line on the port side, as seen in some of Warhawk69's images, so I'm guessing that my photos predate those.

A few weeks ago there was a thread about the documentary on John Jeff Hawke's ferrying of B-25s across the Atlantic for the filming of Hanover Street. Laden Maiden/Gorgeous George-Ann is prominently featured in this documentary, seen here on youtube.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoYi8da6yD0&t=143s. Especially watch from about 56:25 and on to see Laden Maiden in flight, and the new movie nose art applied, too.

Glad the airframe was saved, even though it won't fly again.

Attachments

Member for

24 years 8 months

Gorgeous George Ann ahead viewed from the RH seat of Brenda's Boy.

...and then the RH engine let go.

Mark

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v634/Mark12/Album%206/Hanover%20Street%20Photo%20by%20Peter%20R%20Arnold%20024aa_zps4ahpyhqq.jpg

Member for

24 years 8 months

The compound was on the far side of the runway - it was accessed by driving through the village and going past the far end of the runway . All of it was redeveloped. Amongst the items there were the Empire of The Sun T-6 fuselage - an example on it's legs - some WW1 film prop aircraft and lots of other Visionair items.

Member for

17 years 11 months

Yes my photos were taken later when the B-25 was moved out of the old Armstrong Whitworth compound before they pulled it all down and was placed next to the perimeter fence.

Member for

7 years 7 months

Hello All,

As a french speaking foreigner ( yes, I live in Brussels), forgive my limited language. This is my first post.

I'm a member of a belgian association created around a certain B-25... We restore her on a very limited budget, but she is save in our hangar. And yes, many parts are missing. Please, have a look at our website www.bapa.aero and discover our others projects.