Researching double Meteor crash in South Downs

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

15 years 3 months

I have been asked to check out the details of a double Meteor crash somewhere in the South Downs. I'm told that they were in very close formation trying to find their way into Tangmere one night through very bad weather when the leader flew into a hill. Naturally his number two followed straight after! Unfortunately my research library does not really cover this period (allegedly it happened in the late 40s) so I am hoping that someone out there can tell me more. Cheers and Happy New Year to all.

Original post

From 'Broken Wings' by J J Halley, page 95:

Meteor F.4s VT238 and VT276 of 43 Sqn - crashed near Slindon, hit hill in bad visibility on let down, November 25th 1949.

A quick search on Google gives the following details:

VT238 SW-R Plt. II Arthur Venning Lancey
VT276 SW-N Plt. III Ronald Samuel Jefferies

Regards

Simon

I may have related photographs. I certainly have one of VT276.

The number of losses around Tangmere and Ford in the late 40s and 50s were shocking to say the least.

Member for

15 years 3 months

That is really helpful - thanks guys. Turns out the guy who asked about it has a large piece of wreckage that is supposed to have originated from this crash site. I will post photos in the next day or so. It certainly looks like jet age construction rather than WW2. If it's the right place then Slindon is an incorrect location; Upwaltham would be more accurate. Does anyone know where the 2 pilots were buried?

A further snippet, from the Western Daily Press, November 26th 1949:

Meteors Crash: Two Die
Two R.A.F. Meteor aircraft collided yesterday four miles north-east of Tangmere, Sussex, R.A.F. Station, from which they were operating. Both pilots were killed. The crash took place in conditions of low cloud and poor visibility.

That would put the crash in the Upwaltham area?

Simon

I think I'm right in saying that the parish of Slindon extends almost to the edge of Upwaltham village?

Having looked out my Tangmere files it wasn't a collision but both were incorrectly controlled and descended into a 850ft hill (?) and flew into trees.

Member for

15 years 3 months

both were incorrectly controlled and descended into a 850ft hill (?) and flew into trees.

It would probably have been a DF assisted approach in those days. Sounds like they were descended below the safety altitude. Wonder if the controller concerned was punished for his actions. A tragic affair.

Another pair had successfully completed a controlled descent through cloud but due to an incorrect starting position this pair were some four miles south of the leading pair and were homed incorrectly. The controller failed to allow for a build up of errors in the approach and gave the pair a turn onto a heading too soon, flying them into the Downs.

I don't know about any C of I outcomes but would have expected the errant controller to have been disciplined in some way or another.

Member for

17 years 1 month

Apparently probate records give Lancey's place of death as Gumber farm, Slindon.

It was also the site of a decoy 'K' airfield to mimic either nearby Tangmere or Ford.

http://sussex-ww2-decoy-sites.synthasite.com/

A Beaufighter also crashed here, c.1942.

And, coincidentally, my mother's war work was building dummy Hurricanes for these sites when she worked at Green Bros. of Hailsham.

Member for

24 years 8 months

I've heard it said your mother was good at turning out dummies. :D

Why, thank you!

And a Happy New Year to you too, Moggy. :p

Member for

24 years 8 months

And for you also - A brighter year than 2016 hopefully.

Moggy