B-17 Bomb Loads

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 6 months

Any particularly good resources for B-17 technical details that anyone is aware of? I'm going to do some digging, but I figured I'd ask here first to see what the collective forum may have as suggestions. I'm just curious about details of the bomb bay in the B-17 and how it could be configured as well as typical paylods, etc. Any info is appreciated. Thanks!

Original post

Member for

19 years 8 months

The Operating Handbook had drawings of bomb loads with the various bombs (100lbs to 2000lbs) that could be carried.
The diagrams are in several books, including The B-17 Flying Fortress Story by Freeman
and B-17 Flying Fortress by P.M. Bowers.

While not terribly detailed, it might be what you're after.
If so, I can post a photo of the chart.

Member for

18 years 4 months

I did use to wonder (in the mists of time) if the B17 could carry some of the larger bombs the Lancaster carried, cookie and the bouncing bomb primarily.

Member for

24 years 6 months

Would the chart below by the one you're referring to? Honestly it's precisely what I was looking for. I know the B-17 does get criticized for having a fairly small internal payload relative to some of its contemporaries (Lancaster & B-24 namely), but nonetheless I just wanted to know how they could configure it. I'm assuming even though this chart is a G-model that at least the E & F are similar.

http://www.alternatewars.com/BBOW/Aircraft/B-17G_Bombload_Chart.jpg

Member for

19 years 8 months

Actually, I was thinking of this one...

Attachments

I did use to wonder.... if the B17 could carry some of the larger bombs....

Weight wise, I'd expect it could have done, as the "Disney" rocket bomb was I think 4,500 lbs, and they could be carried on the external under-wing racks. However, unlike the Lanc, Halifax etc, the B-17 sits very low to the ground ( and can take off in a three point attitude ), so ground clearance would have been an issue for larger bombs. The B-17 was about seven years older than most of the British heavies, designed more in the era of Hampdens, Whitleys and Wellingtons, and was not designed for strategic bombing. It was to some degree outdated in WW2. The British bombers had long, but low in height bays with the wing spars above. The B-17's bay was tall in height and short in length, with formers carrying the wing spar loads at its front and rear. This made modification for large internal loads impractical. Of course, Boeing saw no need for major structural re-design, as it was already working on the much larger B-29.

Member for

12 years 4 months

Jeep Shows The Comparative Size Of 4000-Pound Block Busters At An 8Th Air Force Service Command Depot In Sharnbrook England
http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii120/Duggy009/8th%20AF%20ground%20vehicles/Jeep%20Shows%20The%20Comparative%20Size%20Of%204000-Pound%20Block%20Busters%20At%20An%208Th%20Air%20Force%20Service%20Command%20Depot%20In%20Sharnbrook%20England.%20Sgt.%20Dow%20Flint%20Of%20St.%20Petersburg%20Florida%20Is%20Driver%20Of%20The%20J.jpg

Member for

7 years 9 months

For general specs, Ray Wagner is good. He gives refs for his data. As I recall, the -17 was cleared to about 18,000 lb, including external stores, but I don't think anything like that was used in combat, except for the c10 tons of torpex or whatever loaded into the guided missile versions. The -24 was more like four than seven years after the -17 and was a direct response to that design.
The -29 was tested with up to 22 tons of bombs.

Member for

15 years 7 months

Presumably that 18,000lb includes fuel: as the charts above show a maximum possible carriage of 8000lb.

I've seen a photo of a B-29 flying with two Tallboys, which is 24,000lb. I think that they only flew operationally (in Korea) with one Tarzon, or guided Tallboy, but can't confirm.

Member for

19 years 8 months

The -24 was more like four than seven years after the -17 and was a direct response to that design.
The -29 was tested with up to 22 tons of bombs.

You're correct...
B-17 ff, 28 July 1935
B-24 ff, 29-Dec, 1939