First World War aircraft to identify

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

21 years 1 month

I have a couple of photos of First World War aircraft that I'm not sure of the identities of and would be very grateful to know what types these are. Any information would be much appreciated.

First is a German "battleplane" or bomber which was armoured and equipped with seven machine guns. Second is the first British aircraft downed by the Germans. I've seen that described as an Avro 504, but this photo doesn't show a 504, and looks more like some kind of parasol aircraft, but I can't pin it down.

I'm sure they are really obvious but I'm getting nowhere with them and would be very grateful for any information about these two.

Thanks!

Attachments
Original post

Member for

18 years 6 months

Junkers J.1 on the left and a Nieuport 17 on the right. I used to have a complete set of these photos but gave them to the RAF museum before it opened !

Dave

Member for

21 years 1 month

Dave,

Thanks, that's brilliant and just what I was looking for. The Nieuport clearly wasn't the first British aircraft downed by the Germans, despite what the caption to the image claims!

Thanks again.

Member for

10 years 2 months

Hello Dave and Ian, not wanting to confuse this too much, while the Idflieg designation for the Junkers armoured ground attack aircraft was 'J.I', internally at Junkers it was the 'J4' being their fourth production aircraft. The only reason I mention this is that Junkers' first aircraft was also 'J1' and is referenced frequently as being the original Dessau Donkey and first all metal monoplane.

Regards
John