Wreckage Identification

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

15 years 5 months

Hi All

I have just been given the following wreckage, it was recovered from fishing nets off the coast of Kent.

Any Idea what aircraft they may be from, there is a small piece that has german writing on it.

Kind Regards
DSC00969
DSC00967DSC00966
DSC00965
DSC00964

Original post

Member for

15 years 4 months

German WW2. The dataplate half says 'Baumuster' (Type). Could these be five oxygen bottles, for a five-man bomber crew for instance?

Member for

11 years 9 months

Could part of/full word on the fourth picture down be funk? Which I think means radio/wireless in German?

Member for

17 years 4 months

If you clean around the domed tops of the bottles there will be manufacture dates. It would help with id. Luftwaffe oxy bottles changed design mid to late war, from cylindrical to balls! A very nice gift!

Member for

15 years 5 months

I will try to clean around the cylinders tomorrow, any tips for cleaning and preserving it?

I will also find out the exact location it was recovered.

Member for

11 years

Blue is current colour coding for nitrous oxide- I don't know about WW2. Edit- I have seen an oxygen regulator with a blue centre to it, so I don't know.

Member for

17 years 4 months

Submerging in fresh water for 'a long time' seems the most popular, otherwise the salt will suddenly reduce much of the aluminium to powder.

Member for

15 years 10 months

I’m not sure what Luftwaffe aircraft had 5 bottles in a single rack like that. These bottles weren’t 1 per man, I believe some Bf-109s had 2 bottles in each wing for a total of 4, although I’m not sure if they were the same size as yours. What is the approximate size of your bottle? It’s probably from at least a 2 man crew (Ju-87, Bf-110?) or larger, and it’s possible that this rack of 5 (and possibly more) was in one wing and an equal amount were in the other wing or elsewhere in the aircraft. As Ian said, start with the manufacture and date codes around the neck of the bottles and go from there.

Here is a link to one of the cleanest sauerstofflasche I’ve seen, manufactured in 1940 and with legible codes you can use for comparison.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WW2-German-Luftwaffe-Sauerstofflasche-Oxygen-Bottle-Ju87-Do17-He111-etc-/390870409781?hash=item5b01b12235

Member for

14 years

I will try to clean around the cylinders tomorrow, any tips for cleaning and preserving it?

I will also find out the exact location it was recovered.

ADVICE!
NO METAL BUSH! No brush at all for now!
First off give it a good soaking with fresh water, GENTLY, clean off as much of ocean salt as you can.
The put it in a bucket and fill with more fresh water, to get as much salt off as you can.
Do this for a couple of days, changing the water twice a day.

Need to get as much salt off as possible.

I also suggest you talk to RAFM about their weak citric acid cleaning to get the marine deposits off. (I can email them).

I’m not sure what Luftwaffe aircraft had 5 bottles in a single rack like that. These bottles weren’t 1 per man, I believe some Bf-109s had 2 bottles in each wing for a total of 4, although I’m not sure if they were the same size as yours. What is the approximate size of your bottle? It’s probably from at least a 2 man crew (Ju-87, Bf-110?) or larger, and it’s possible that this rack of 5 (and possibly more) was in one wing and an equal amount were in the other wing or elsewhere in the aircraft. As Ian said, start with the manufacture and date codes around the neck of the bottles and go from there.

Here is a link to one of the cleanest sauerstofflasche I’ve seen, manufactured in 1940 and with legible codes you can use for comparison.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WW2-German-Luftwaffe-Sauerstofflasche-Oxygen-Bottle-Ju87-Do17-He111-etc-/390870409781?hash=item5b01b12235

Could it be from a Dornier DO17 like the one recovered nearby on the edge of the Goodwin Sands?

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/zxfkhzia5k4hi2vnffbe.jpg

I agree with the above possibilities.
It is far more likely the bomber than 109, 110, Stuka, or like. Could even be later Do-217 or He-177

If you clean around the domed tops of the bottles there will be manufacture dates. It would help with id. Luftwaffe oxy bottles changed design mid to late war, from cylindrical to balls! A very nice gift!

CAREFUL, see above, go with this gently, it is very easy to damage it worse than it is.
Take your time, its been there 75 or so years, can wait a little more.

Member for

15 years 5 months

Thanks for the reply. it was found at 51'10.50n 001'31.50e (Southern edge of the Goodwin sands), the fishing boat was heading North when it was discovered.

Member for

16 years 8 months

A wartime Farnborough report on the Do17 described the oxygen system as being supplied from 5 bottles located in the rear fuselage.

Member for

24 years 8 months

Sounds as though you need to ring Cosford and ask if they are short!

Adrian

Member for

17 years 1 month

Perhaps they still have pressure in them!Be careful!

Member for

15 years 5 months

Dornier Do 17, 3495 U5+DM crashed into the sea at 20:40 hours on 9 November 1940, of unknown causes, off the coast of Kingsdown close to where the wreckage was recovered. Hopefully I can find a date on one of the bottles.

Member for

14 years

AlphaCharlie, can you post more images of the device on top of the cylinders?
Does it looked attached, or a separate item?

A wartime Farnborough report on the Do17 described the oxygen system as being supplied from 5 bottles located in the rear fuselage.

Where can I find these reports?

Dornier Do 17, 3495 U5+DM crashed into the sea at 20:40 hours on 9 November 1940, of unknown causes, off the coast of Kingsdown close to where the wreckage was recovered. Hopefully I can find a date on one of the bottles.

Where did this info come from?

It was posted in Wiki some 14 to 20 Do-17's crashed along the east coast, and every chance Cosford misidentified what they have.

Member for

15 years 5 months

A local historian i know passed the info onto me. The crew of 3495 are burried in the local cemetery.

Member for

16 years 8 months

Flying Pencil PM sent
Aeronut

Member for

15 years 5 months

The whole piece measures approximately 24" wide by 20" High, each of the bottles are approximately 15.5" High.

DSC00980

DSC00979

DSC00978

DSC00977

DSC00976

DSC00975

DSC00971

DSC00970