Flat Silver Paint?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

13 years

I've been tasked with the job of sourcing paint for an interesting project, that of replicating as accurately as possible a 1960s/1970s silver paint scheme for a flying rebuild project. The problem is that while I can obtain any number of gloss paints for the task I'm looking for a flat silver, but I've not come across this anywhere. Does anyone out there have any ideas as to where this can be obtained?

Thanks

Original post

Member for

11 years 10 months

Would flatting agent work? I know aeromodellers have used it with success. Some also advise undercoating with matt black.

Member for

24 years 8 months

Use a standard automotive base coat, with an eggshell lacquer.

Member for

10 years 7 months

The real stuff used to be High speed silver: a mixture of aluminium and clear dope. 4:1 clear dope to aluminium.

Clear dope: 33B/317 516. Type C - Cellulose.
There is no BS 381C match. Colour is matched by FS 595B 17178.
or possibly:
Colour Silver. Spec. Cellulose DTD 63 Synthetic DTD260 Stores Ref Cellulose 33B/317, 556, Synthetic 158, 561.

Unfortunately, the 'elf n safety mob aren't too keen on cellulose, these days.

Member for

24 years 8 months

Celly is easy to buy; plenty on eBay!

Member for

16 years 7 months

A great colour match is Ford Moondust silver. Try it straight from the tin and it's more satin than gloss as it's meant to have a clear lacquer to finish.

I had some original silver painted Meteor parts which had been stored in boxes and found this one to be as near to a perfect match.

Anon.