A visit To the Kent Battle of Britain Museum at Hawkinge a MUST

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

13 years 9 months

Hi all.

I thought id let you know that i visited the Kent Battle of Britain Museum at Hawkinge last Saturday.

This is a Museum that i personally visit in the region of ten times per season, reason being there is never near enough time to take in all the displays and exhibits.it covers hundreds of displays that cover crashsites through out the Battle.

There have been quite a few new additions since last year, these are a few that spring to mind.(There are more)

Replica Boulton Paul Defiant
Stuka rear fuselage.
Stuka main wheel faring (with numerous bullet strikes)
Spitfire replica K5054 (of which once took to the skies until its sad end)
Almost certain that i see a full Stuka contol column. (rarest of the rare)
Also a lot more new displays have been added to this massive Battle of Britain collection. (The biggest collection in the World)

Some of the displays are housed in 3 of the original former airfield buildings including the original operations block,(incidently there are still remains a bullet strike through the original roof of this building, whilst it was under Luftwaffe attack)
Also the old Armoury houses uniforms aviation prints a colection of Weoponry, medals, log books, also artifacts from the likes of Lord Dowding Robert Stanford Tuck and Sir Douglas Bader and many more.

Another new addition to the Museum this year is the new 25 squadron Mess and Tea room, this is another nice improvment to the facillities, as gives you the chance to grab a cuppa and a bite to eat and take in all that you have seen so far, before entering back in to the Museum for the second part of the Journey into the Battle. (incidently i highly recommend the home made Cakes) they are to die for. (The catering on site is pleasantly provided by Laura) also on the menu there are the likes of Sandwiches, toasties crumpets, and various other lite bites..undercover seating for inclement days, as well as outside on sunny days on the newly constructed patio... you could almost be back in the 1940s.

Any questions you may need to ask and the the very friendly Volunteers are in hand to help.and beyond that there is David Brocklehurst M.B.E. there to help with any questions reference the Battle, as he is extremely knowledgeable and helpful on this subject.. (Many a time during my visit you would see him helping numerous people with there Questions.)

This Museum certainly brings home the Human side of this conflict during WW2 and tells the Story of those who thought and died in the Battle in Great detail and depth.. for anyone who hasnt as yet visited PLEASE spare the time to see the Museums Curators and Volunteers dedication and hard work..(I promise anyone that you will not be disapointed...) But be warned one visit will not be enough..

I have to admit i spent some 4 hours at Hawkinge on Saturday but seemed more like half an hour as time just flys past you...

I feel i havent done the Museum the justice it deserves but below is a link for further information.

http://www.kbobm.org/map.htm

Cheers for reading Brad..

Original post

Member for

11 years 11 months

Great post which I heartily endorse. A great favourite of mine but I have not been able to get there for a while so really look forward to the new developments you described. Hopefully I will combine my visit with Capel Le Ferne to make a thoroughly 1940 day of it!!;)

Member for

20 years 9 months

Hi all.

I thought id let you know that i visited the Kent Battle of Britain Museum at Hawkinge last Saturday.

This is a Museum that i personally visit in the region of ten times per season, reason being there is never near enough time to take in all the displays and exhibits.it covers hundreds of displays that cover crashsites through out the Battle.

There have been quite a few new additions since last year, these are a few that spring to mind.(There are more)

Replica Boulton Paul Defiant
Stuka rear fuselage.
Stuka main wheel faring (with numerous bullet strikes)
Spitfire replica K5054 (of which once took to the skies until its sad end)
Almost certain that i see a full Stuka contol column. (rarest of the rare)
Also a lot more new displays have been added to this massive Battle of Britain collection. (The biggest collection in the World)

Some of the displays are housed in 3 of the original former airfield buildings including the original operations block,(incidently there are still remains a bullet strike through the original roof of this building, whilst it was under Luftwaffe attack)
Also the old Armoury houses uniforms aviation prints a colection of Weoponry, medals, log books, also artifacts from the likes of Lord Dowding Robert Stanford Tuck and Sir Douglas Bader and many more.

Another new addition to the Museum this year is the new 25 squadron Mess and Tea room, this is another nice improvment to the facillities, as gives you the chance to grab a cuppa and a bite to eat and take in all that you have seen so far, before entering back in to the Museum for the second part of the Journey into the Battle. (incidently i highly recommend the home made Cakes) they are to die for. (The catering on site is pleasantly provided by Laura) also on the menu there are the likes of Sandwiches, toasties crumpets, and various other lite bites..undercover seating for inclement days, as well as outside on sunny days on the newly constructed patio... you could almost be back in the 1940s.

Any questions you may need to ask and the the very friendly Volunteers are in hand to help.and beyond that there is David Brocklehurst M.B.E. there to help with any questions reference the Battle, as he is extremely knowledgeable and helpful on this subject.. (Many a time during my visit you would see him helping numerous people with there Questions.)

This Museum certainly brings home the Human side of this conflict during WW2 and tells the Story of those who thought and died in the Battle in Great detail and depth.. for anyone who hasnt as yet visited PLEASE spare the time to see the Museums Curators and Volunteers dedication and hard work..(I promise anyone that you will not be disapointed...) But be warned one visit will not be enough..

I have to admit i spent some 4 hours at Hawkinge on Saturday but seemed more like half an hour as time just flys past you...

I feel i havent done the Museum the justice it deserves but below is a link for further information.

http://www.kbobm.org/map.htm

Cheers for reading Brad..

I agree, it is a really good museum. I went there last year, and had an excellent visit.

Member for

24 years 8 months

I visited the museum last year. It needs either a larger hangar or less aircraft as it seemed that some aircraft were lost in it all . There is the Gotha repro from Manston which is a fine item -however a restructuring of displays is the only way I can see it being displayed.

Member for

18 years 7 months

It's a fantastic collection. It's a long time since I was there, but there were enough smaller artefacts and associated stories to make it worth a days visit to look around. I certainly prefer it to collections of aircraft only.
More space would be a help, as it's virtually impossible to get good photos in there.
(Ok, I'll get my coat!)

Pete

Member for

11 years 11 months

Four posts before the word was mentioned - not bad!!!:)

Member for

24 years 8 months

It needs either a larger hangar or less aircraft as it seemed that some aircraft were lost in it all . There is the Gotha repro from Manston which is a fine item -however a restructuring of displays is the only way I can see it being displayed.

This was something brought home to me by a trip last week around the Pas de Calais with the local tourist people.

The strongest museums, the ones that were best to visit, had a limited number of artefacts, stuck single-mindedly to a theme, and spent as much money, if not more, on interpretation boards and displays as they did on dust-covered relics.

What has the Gotha to do with the Battle of Britain? Absolutely nothing.

Moggy

Member for

18 years

I don't see the point of all the plastic planes, or the replicas tbh the display cases of artefacts are so much better.

My last visit brought home to me just how much more interesting items are when displayed in a proper way, other than in your cupboard or book shelf

Member for

19 years 10 months

What has the Gotha to do with the Battle of Britain? Absolutely nothing.
Moggy

Perhaps they're trying to tie in the 1940 event with the first "Battle of Britain"...of 1917-18.
After all, lessons from the first battle influenced UK thinking and preparations for the second (not to mention its effect on UK bombing strategy).
It's an important point to make and one lost on 99.9% of UK residents and probably many (or most) of the WWII aviation history enthusiasts.

Member for

24 years 8 months

Well you can string any bit of kit into a theme with a tenuous link like that. It's still nothing to do with the Battle of Britain.

So, has someone who has been. Is there a set of interpretation boards and maybe a video presentation showing how the bombing of the UK twenty-two years earlier influenced The Battle of Britain?

Museums that add things, whatever they are, are the ones that end up as a dull experience.

Moggy

Member for

24 years 8 months

Indeed Moggy. As we left one such museum a month or so back, my wife described it to me as 'a tin shed full of junk'. Unfortunately I had to agree with her.

Member for

24 years 8 months

Quite so.

I visited the 39-45 Museum at Ambleteuse on Friday. It is a little gem, and I know that I can return with Mrs Moggy and she'll be happy enough. It is single-minded in presenting a timeline illustrated by chronological dioramas of uniforms and equipment from each point in the war.

I also visited at least one such as you describe, and it would take a mind-bogglingly expensive Michelin-star standard meal in the evening to placate Mrs Moggy if I were ever to drag her there.

Moggy

Member for

24 years 8 months

Well, we were in and out in the space of less than 10 minutes, so the ensuing placatory meal was considerable cheaper than that! :)

Member for

13 years 9 months

I have to say that my wife visited the Battle of Britain Museum with me last year and came away and said that she had enjoyed the displays and above all the personal stories, i even see a tear in her eye whilst reading one of the display boards... and must say she has no real interest in my hobbie what so ever (but is very understanding of my passion.. (God bless her)

When we got home she said i have to say i really enjoyed my Day.. She loves the 1940s we often hit the 40s shows circuits around the country as she loves the entertinment side of things (Ref Dance) so i guess you can say everyone is different in this world as far as opinions arise, but majority of visiters come away with only good things to say..

But like i say everyone is different.. and you have to respect that.

Member for

21 years 1 month

Re: Gotha replica.

Folkestone is the nearest town to Hawkinge, type in Gotha and Folkestone into Google and you will see how appropriate the exhibit will be to the museum, Planned expansion including a new hangar will finally allow the collection to exhibit its WW1 artefacts.

Member for

24 years 8 months

I suppose as we have a Lancaster in the BBMF, something twenty odd years before the Battle of Britain is just stretching the time period of the conflict a little further in the opposite direction.

Moggy

Member for

13 years 8 months

Hawkinge is quite frankly a fantastic museum. For hardcore Battle of Britain enthusiasts you are unlikely to see a better collection of real BOB relics in one place. For those wanting to get picky and anal with their comments you could quite easily say the same about Hendon and their "Battle of Britain" hall which houses a He111H-20 which didn't see service until early 1944. A Ju87G-2 which didn't see service until 1943. A Ju88R-1 nightfighter which was in use much later than the BOB and Bf110G-2 nightfighter same story... For those that don't like plastic replica aircraft there are millions of modellers world wide who would disagree...

Member for

24 years 8 months

I don't think anyone is disputing the quality of the Battle of Britain artifacts . There is a lack of space to display the likes of the Tiger Moth and other related aircraft . Sensibly many would I guess wish to see those on display instead of the likes of the Fokker DR1 and multiple FSM Spitfires

Member for

9 years 11 months

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g4212603-d1906014-Reviews-Kent_Battle_of_Britain_Museum-Hawkinge_Folkestone_Kent_England.html#REVIEWS

Some very interesting opinions shared on Trip Advisor.

A decent enough collection, if quite cramped and scruffy. But ruined by the attitude of the staff and their paranoia about mobile phones, cameras and bags.

Member for

18 years 8 months

I haven't been yet, although I follow them on facebook, and yes they do post pictures of the exhibits, I would think they are a bit tight on space, but would much rather go to a museum that was rammed, rather than an art gallery "installation" type of modern display; one mans piece of junk is another mans piece of history.......

Member for

11 years 11 months

I have fallen foul of Trip Advisor too many times to even deem them worth a look anymore. Is any museum perfect? As I have stated previously there is much which could be improved but given what they have and how they have improved over the years I think it's a unique display of the all the facets of the Battle of Britain, with much else besides. And if the rules on photography do not suit, then don't go. It's that simple. But going and then complaining is simply pathetic. As for the staff/volunteers - I have going for many years and do not recognise the criticisms made.