USAAF Sector Clock

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

16 years 6 months

Just got this clock back from the clock repairer and thought it may be of interest as an alternative to the RAF Sector Clocks.

This is the USAAF version of the sector clock that was used by the RAF. They were used by Forward Air Controllers as the Allies advanced and needed local air support.

This one is a Seth Thomas and the black plywood box is the original carrying box.

The box has finger joints and has Dzus type fasteners on the face as well as rubber mounts for the clock, a storage slot for the key and number stamped of 170 on lid and body. The rear has a wall hanging slot.

According to this site they were in use from 1944 - this one has a mechanism dated Jan 1945. I suspect that only a few hundred were made.

http://milspectime.com/?p=693

( case shown is wood and not metal as it states).

I have been speaking with Bob Gardener of Aeroclocks and he has only seen 3 of these in 25 years in the Uk. One with the original box is rarer.

The face of the clock is screen printed and is not paper as is mentioned in some places.

A very rare and original clock with box.

There are numerous replicas out now - but this is the original faded dial.

Attachments
Original post

Member for

13 years 8 months

Very nice Brian.
I have never seen one.
Cheers Mike

Member for

16 years 6 months

Thank you Mike- I understand from Bob that they were only used by the Forward Air Controllers of the IXth Air Force at least in the advance from Normandy to Berlin - so very interesting and not surprisingly rare.