Romney Shed Frames

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

15 years 3 months

I'm gathering materials needed for our upcoming building projects and before I place an order with GT Evans for some new Romney sheds, I wondered if anyone on here is aware of any surplus frames which may be available? They would need to be dismantled unless fairly close to Dumfries. Any leads much appreciated.

Original post

Member for

20 years 5 months

From experience - go with all stuff from GT Evans, their stuff is top drawer and is IIRC galvanised. When we extended the Museum we used frames and tins from an old hut - with the work and effort involved we went with new stuff for the second extension - its a no brainer! Such nice people to deal with too!

Ref insulation - if you use newbuild tins because they are galv you can install rockwool - if you use the old tins even red-leaded they rot - otherwise your only insulation is the air gap - which allows them to breathe (and not rust) - thing is with rockwool - mices love to nest in there - ask me how I know - little b*****s

Thorpe Camp have used single skin sheds then sprayed insulation foam inside - works well but looks a bit messy!

TT

Member for

15 years 3 months

We most likely will end up with completely new sheds as you suggest TT, but various factors have delayed our start date on this project for almost a full year. However that year has seen us acquire several Nissen huts with immaculate tin locally for free, thus saving us many thousands of pounds. We have our claws into three Romneys on a local factory site but they aren't going to materialise in time for this phase of building. The cost of erecting either of these types of buildings seems to divide fairly equally between the building itself and the groundworks/concrete/electrics etc, and a bit of luck with a used Romney would allow our budget to stretch that little bit further. Our first phase will see 4 Nissens and 2 Romneys erected next year - in for a penny and all that.

As for insulation, we have a cunning plan using Kingspan insulation boards to allow for the important air gap and to keep the worst of the chill at bay. The Romneys and Nissens at Montrose are uninsulated and condensation isn't an issue - as we share much the same sub-tropical (!) Scottish weather we will probably go the same way with most of the buildings and just insulate one or two which will house more delicate items.

Member for

20 years 5 months

Good luck old chap I know how much work is involved. We put them all up ourselves - the kicker was the concrete bases which WERE expensive. If some/any are unprotected in the winter, especially in the frost, cover them in straw to prevent spalling. The hoops themselves are normally OK with some elbow grease and red lead - but trust me on the tins - seriously, trust me!

Once you get a system going you're laughing - just start the correct end (ie have the tins underlapping away from you) which makes life easier, the witches hats are a waste of time. Do seal the inner tins to the floor though and put a DPC sheet below the slabs. Like the insulation idea - clever.

Remember, Major Nissen would expect a platoon to put up a hut in day. Major Nissen a) didnt have to deal with volunteers and b) was an optimist.....

Best of luck!

TT

Member for

15 years 4 months

We need a load of horizontal purlins if anyone knows of any going spare for our second Romney.
Regards
G

Member for

24 years 7 months

There is one being demolished shortly near me - I will enquire.

Member for

16 years 7 months

I came across a file at Kew containing instructions for the assembly of the Mks I, II & III Nissen huts if anyone is interested?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]233556[/ATTACH]

Attachments

Member for

15 years 4 months

Dave
If you can find out we wood take the whole building if possible if in fair condition or the best bits if not.
Regards
Graham

Member for

24 years 7 months

Made enquiries unfortunately it's being brought down by mechanical means i.e destroyed with sadly no negotiation .

Member for

15 years 4 months

That's a pity as we only need 2 days to get what we need and that's the second we missed in the local area.

Member for

18 years 6 months

There's a building in the Newark area that is sometimes offered to NAM, now that I know that someone might be interested I'll pass on your details VARSITY the next time an approach comes through. :)

IIRC there's also a forumite in Lincolnshire that knew of one being available!

Member for

15 years 4 months

Thanks TO that would be a great help.

Member for

24 years 7 months

Varsity -its being brought down by a local council . There is an asbestos tiny issue that was resolved but I guess modern litigation is a prime factor in the contractor been adverse to other people coming on site.

Member for

18 years 6 months

VARSITY I have done a bit of searching this morning and I’ve come up with the following weblink

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/today/reports/archive/features/dambusters.shtml

In this article they’re talking about it being a Nissan (Nissen) design, so apologies if I may have misled you. :o

Also, please don’t take at face value the comments in there about NAM. The stories about this building have run for many years (hence the old NAM weblink) and the chapel ideas have always come from the current owner, with NAM input being minimal.

You’re welcome to pursue contact if you wish!