Enola Gay!

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

11 years 1 month

The following link provides a full report with photos and information about the "Enola Gay", undoubtedly the most famous B-29 bomber ever built and the protagonist of one of the main historical events of the Twentieth Century. Hope you enjoy and I count on your visit.

http://aviacaoemfloripa.blogspot.com.br/2012/02/enola-gay.html

Original post

Member for

14 years 5 months

I didn't even realize that it had been re assembled. No chance of it flying I suppose ?
Too politically sensitive, even it it were airworthy ?

Member for

18 years 10 months

From Wiki...Restoration work began in 1984, and would eventually require 300,000 staff hours. While the fuselage was on display, from 1995 to 1998, work continued on the remaining unrestored components. The aircraft was shipped in pieces to the National Air and Space Museum's Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center in Chantilly, Virginia from March–June 2003, with the fuselage and wings reunited for the first time since 1960 on 10 April 2003[3] and assembly completed on 8 August 2003. The aircraft is currently at Washington Dulles International Airport in the Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center, since the museum annex opened on 15 December 2003

Member for

14 years 9 months

Something I'd love to go and see someday, along will all the other amazing treasures at NASM.

Member for

14 years 5 months

I didn't even realize that it had been re assembled. No chance of it flying I suppose ?
Too politically sensitive, even it it were airworthy ?

NASM don't fly their aircraft. In any case I'd hope they'd focus resources on getting the Silver Hills aircraft into public display!

Member for

9 years 11 months

Something I'd love to go and see someday, along will all the other amazing treasures at NASM.

As I live nearby (5 miles away), I've visited the Dulles location many times to see the displays as they've grown over the last decade. I'm a pilot, so I naturally gravitate to airframes, but I took my father-in law to Dulles a few years ago and wound up spending four hours just in the engine display. He joined the US Army Air Corps in 1939 and trained as an engine mechanic working on B-18 bombers, OA-9 scout planes and P-40 fighters at Wheeler Field, Hawaii. He was there on Dec 7, 1941, and later moved to England in 1944 (Andover, I think) as a P-38 line chief (and later with Mustangs) for the 402nd Fighter Squadron. His explanation of how the engine technology evolved in the field (as opposed to the draft boards at the factory) was incredibly interesting..for instance not just that the Merlin was better than the Allison, but exactly why on a part-by-part basis. I wish I had thought to bring a camcorder to record the discussions...they would be priceless today as he started with old 1930 recips and early P&W WASPs and Catalina engines, to the P-38's Allison V-12 to the P-51's Merlins to the larger radials on the P-47, B-17s, and finally the C-97 and on to the turbo-props on the Herc. He worked on them all between 1940 and 1969.

Also, if you get the chance, its an easy 8 hour drive up the Interstates (or a short flight) from there to the Air Force Museum at Wright-Patterson AFB, near Dayton, Ohio, which has an enormous display (100s?) of retired and beautifully restored USAF aircraft of all types, from WWI to the 2000s. There are three or four I've actually flown in their collection (T-41, T-37, OV-10A, and I think the T-38). There are a few outside plus four or more huge buildings full of displays...a great trip for an aircraft buff.

Member for

11 years 10 months

I'd hope they'd focus resources on getting the Silver Hills aircraft into public display!

I had the fourth best experience of my life wandering around there in 1976. It just wasn't long enough and I wish they could have locked me in for the weekend. It was mind blowing coming face to face with the Horten Ho. 229 among others of which I had only ever seen fuzzy black and white pictures in magazines. Have they restored it yet?

Member for

16 years 10 months

I had the fourth best experience of my life wandering around there in 1976. It just wasn't long enough and I wish they could have locked me in for the weekend. It was mind blowing coming face to face with the Horten Ho. 229 among others of which I had only ever seen fuzzy black and white pictures in magazines. Have they restored it yet?

Was lucky enough to visit there in September (and the NASM on the National Mall, and Intrepid in NY - what a holiday ;)).

The Horten is still in pieces in the restoration area although the Uhu is approaching completion (the fuselage and engine nacelles were on the display floor).

I echo the comments on this thread. It's a breath-taking museum - so many unique exhibits.

I too had limited time at all three locations so concentrated on the things I really wanted to see... Enola Gay, the pre-war USN & USAAC planes, Earheart's Vega, the Hughes racer, the Stratoliner, USN & Japanese WWII stuff - basically the things you won't find anywhere else. Didn't even scratch the surface of the space exhibits.