Bf 110

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 8 months

So I was perusing some data on the Bf 110, and I got to wondering about the guns mounted in the nose on the lesser mentioned variants.

Most sources seem to state that early models (namely the Bf 110C) were fitted with four MG17s and two MG FF's with later models (Bf 110G) replacing the MG FF's with MG 151/20's.

Outside of the recce versions (with no cannon) and the specially modified G models (Mk-108s & Bk 3.7's), would the four MG17 and two 20-mm fit be pretty standard for every Bf 110?

I realize this is a pretty specific question, but it just seems like you often read about what the Bf 110C and Bf 110G were fitted with, often with no mention of the Bf 110D, Bf 110E, or Bf 110F. The E & F are especially intriguing to me, as it would appear they were more dedicated to the fighter-bomber mission, but most sources that speak of the 110 mention its role in the Battle of Britain and its career as a night fighter when in reality it had quite a combat career in other areas as well!

Any thoughts?

Original post

Member for

13 years 8 months

The fixed armament was pretty much standard from the B - F series with the 4 x MG17 and the 2 x MGFF cannon. The E series had additional bomb racks on the wings and the F series also could carry Rüstsatz modification packs with an assortment of either extra fuel or armament capabilities. The fixed armament only really changed with the Bf110G-2 with the 4 x MG17 but instead of the MGFF it had MG151/20.

Member for

24 years 8 months

Thanks for the information!

Would it be accurate to state then that the Bf-110E & Bf 110F were intended as fighter-bombers (the F simply being an improved E with more load carrying capability?)

Also, what was the original intent of the G? I know it's mostly associated with the night-fighter mission (Bf 110G-4), but was it just an evolved F originally?

I'm looking into getting the Ian Allan Classic Publications book on the C/D/E models. That would probably teach me a great deal about them!

Oh and was the MG81Z twin-gun mount exclusive to the G model or did the E and/or F have it?

Member for

24 years 8 months

Anyone?

Member for

24 years 8 months

I'll keep trying to start discussion...

Here's is something else I'm curious about regarding the 110........maximum speed. It seems you often see the quoted value for the Bf-110C (not sure which specific mark, but I'm assuming the C-4) as around 348 mph, then for the Bf-110G I've seen anything from 370 down to around 340 (I'm assuming the later is the G-4 with radar equipment?).

Any ideas on the D,E,F?

I realize maximum speed is a product of many different variables, but I'm just curious as to what could possibly be exerted out of a well maintained 110 during the war years.