WW2 RAF Service Record

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

16 years 9 months

Got my grandfathers RAF service record recently and we have been looking through it.

He appears to have ended up being been an LAC Engine Fitter.

His late war training includes Allison and Wasp engines

He told me once that his only time on the continent, during the war, was when he flew to Arnhem to bring back Stirlings that were "left behind". I now assume that this was part of his 24 MU activities ?

The main surprise was that he was released from Service for 9 months in 1942 before being recalled in Jan 43.

He was an Albion Truck Test Driver before the war and had just got married in early 42 and maybe this was part of it ?

He was a little fellow - I wonder if this was why he went to the AGS ? Or was it std training?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]216743[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]216744[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]216745[/ATTACH]

Attachments
Original post

Member for

24 years 8 months

Brian.

I can't help much but I think you are on the right lines regarding his release and recall. It states released under AF (C of S) Act 1939. This is the Armed Forces (Conditions of Service) A ct, 1939. I've found a few mentions of this on the internet and although not having found much substance, what I have found all seems linked to exemptions from military service due to their previous occupation now being considered a reserved one.

Hope this helps, if only a little.

Regards,

kev35

Member for

16 years 9 months

Thanks Kev