New Zealand RNZAF Long Branch 1943 No 4 MK1* 303 Rifle s/n No. 24L 7084

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

11 years 7 months

New Zealand RNZAF Long Branch 1943 No 4 MK1* 303 Rifle s/n No. 24L 7084

This mint ‘as issued’ rifle was purchased from the RNZAF Te Rapa Airbase on
The 2nd of March 1959 by:

Flight Lieutenant (Flt Lt) W J Horton (No.70224)

(And owned many years later by Auckland Military collector Clive Bennett)

It has a bright excellent bore and is all matching bolt, magazine and wood with 100% metal finish including brass butt plate. Also all the original proofs, Long Branch marks plus broad arrow on wood and metal.

After buying the rifle I (Clive Bennett) personally talked with Flight Lieutenant W J Horton (over 20 years ago in Hamilton) and he said this rifle was one of two which he was authorised to purchase as a special concession on retirement. This was apparently influenced by the fact his squad were National title holders of the New Zealand Military target shooters (or similar) and Flight Lieutenant W J Horton was the Team commander.

This was 1959 (when he retired from the Air force) and he personally selected the best barrels from all the ‘unissued’ rifles in the Te Rapa Armoury. (I understand he was the Base Lead Armourer).

He told me that he attached target sights, ‘sighted in’ the rifle (s/n No. 24L 7084) and never fired it again. It was kept at his home ‘oil wrapped’ under cover and he finally decided to sell it (to a Hamilton dealer) from who I purchased it (at one of Ray Carvell’s Gun Shows in South Auckland circa 1993). The second rifle in the same purchase he used for target shooting.

This Rifle (#4 .303 s/n No. 24L 7084) also includes: (as per photos)

• The original ‘hand numbered’ arsenal inspection tag marked : ‘Inspection Board United Kingdom and Canada’ Small Arms Division – with Rifle details

• The original ‘signed’ 1959 RNZAF issue voucher # 1/182 including authority to purchase reference and Permit number # 11011

• The original 1959 NZ Government official (signed by W J Horton) receipt for payment # 744023 – dated 2nd March 1959

• The original battle sights

Clive Bennett email: [email]combatm@ihug.co.nz[/email] (I have never fired this rifle)

Posted for the interest of Forum Members and RNZAF Flight Lieutenant (Flt Lt) W J Horton (No.70224)

Original post

Member for

18 years 1 month

G'day Clive,

Thanks for the pics. The Kiwi Long Branch No4s are indeed lovely rifles. British-designed, Canadian-built and New Zealand-used. Plenty of them were surplussed without having been issued and abused in NZ service. We see them here in Australia from time to time, and they're a great example of the type. I'll get one someday, to go with my collection, which ranges from a Lee-Metford I* of 1889 to a Fazakerley No4 Mk2 of 1953, and many Lees in between. Good fun, for those of us who'll never own a warbird!

Cheers,
Matt

Member for

17 years 10 months

Cool, when in basic training we used to have some Lee Enfields that were *******ised into SLR's for drill use in the RAF, a grip, SLR mag and bolt cover were stabbed onto them and the stock modified to look like an SLR

Member for

16 years

Stunning rifle, I'll have to get my mk3* out, I can't where it was made.

Member for

11 years 7 months

What did he pay for it? I couldn't see the price on the receipt. In 1977 I was based at RNZAF Wigram and the RNZAF gave it's serving members the opportunity to purchase one No 4 Mk1* each at the exorbinant price of NZ$15.00 each. I got one & took it deer and pig hunting. The cracker stackers (armourers) told me it was never used still packed in the original grease. I never cut the wood down. Acquired a grey sling for myself, at no cost, from the training school. Was a good rifle.

Member for

18 years 1 month

PanzerJohn, if you'd like to post (or PM) the details found on the right-hand side of the butt socket, it should be pretty easy to get the details to you.

The No1 MkIII* is a lovely rifle, at least my ones are.

Cheers,
Matt

Member for

11 years 7 months

Hi, I think he paid around 2 pounds ($8.00) so at $15 in 1977 you got a great deal .. had you squirreled it away untouched you would have been looking at least one thousand dollars today as they are going through the roof!

Cheers,
Clive