Colour wartime Spitfire photo

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

21 years 1 month

Hi folks

This picture is floating around on Facebook at the moment.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/73062_10151265903603758_1406095252_n.jpg

I remember it being discussed here, I'm sure, but I can't recall the outcome (identity of the squadron/location etc) and I'm damned if I can find the thread! :(

Anyone?

Original post

Member for

12 years 8 months

DazDaMan

Your wasps quote is insulting to wasps. They can be irritating to some people, (the flappers), but they are certainly not pointless!

Member for

19 years 7 months

And what a good photograph it is too. Nice and sharp with a good colour.

Member for

21 years 1 month

DazDaMan

Your wasps quote is insulting to wasps. They can be irritating to some people, (the flappers), but they are certainly not pointless!

All the years I've had my quote as my signature, and nobody has ever come to their defence..... until now! ;)

Yes, 54 Squadron at Hornchurch in May 1941. (KL-T)

Serial number unknown, unfortunately.

Member for

21 years 1 month

I want to see a re-enactor at Legends dressed like the erk in the cockpit !
That's authenticity.

Member for

13 years 8 months

There are two more in this series:

Attachments

Member for

12 years 8 months

All the years I've had my quote as my signature, and nobody has ever come to their defence..... until now! ;)

Well overdue then.:) Much maligned creatures.

Plain Murder
I saw a wasp upon a wall
And did not like his face at all:
And so the creature had no time
To wonder whether he liked mine.

Member for

21 years 1 month

Yes, 54 Squadron at Hornchurch in May 1941. (KL-T)

Serial number unknown, unfortunately.

Sounds daft, but I could not remember the squadron number for the life of me - yet could see "KL-T" from the picture! :o Cheers!

Bushell - I've never been a fan of wasps, especially since being stung by one when I was a lot younger! ;)

Member for

20 years 4 months

Interesting comparison photo of the Spitfire with the Albion refueller - showing how different the SCC2 colour of the refueller was from the standard RAF Dark Earth colour on the Spitfire

Member for

14 years 10 months

Interesting comparison photo of the Spitfire with the Albion refueller - showing how different the SCC2 colour of the refueller was from the standard RAF Dark Earth colour on the Spitfire

It looks much the same to me ? not really easy to tell. I'm about to spray my RAF Humber 4x4 and was going to use RAF Dark Earth and Green camo, so interested in this subject.

Jules

Member for

20 years 3 months

Sounds daft, but I could not remember the squadron number for the life of me - yet could see "KL-T" from the picture! :o Cheers!

Better eyes than me ... where's the [K]?

Member for

21 years 1 month

Well, it's under the cockpit door, but for some reason I couldn't see it being DL-T (91 Squadron) or anything else.

Member for

20 years 4 months

It looks much the same to me ? not really easy to tell. I'm about to spray my RAF Humber 4x4 and was going to use RAF Dark Earth and Green camo, so interested in this subject.

Jules

Vehicle colours and RAF aircraft colours are different

Have you got a copy of Mike Starmer's book on home/NW Europe vehicle colours - essential reading plus he gives you colour chips. The other source is Dick Taylor's 4 volume Warpaint series from MMP

Frank Burberry's paints seem well matched - I'm doing a 10cwt GS trailer in his SCC2 at the moment

Member for

20 years 3 months

Well, it's under the cockpit door, but for some reason I couldn't see it being DL-T (91 Squadron) or anything else.

Good point ... I didn't think to apply the logic of likely squadron codes ... slow day

Member for

16 years 1 month

I'm with you DazDaMan. I have a loft full of wasps. :(

Member for

19 years 2 months

Get yourself some Hornets, the most chilled out insects in the world.

They hunt wasps. (day and night)

Baz

Member for

24 years 8 months

re;

I have had a copy of the 1st one framed on my wall for a while. Good to see the others. Mine have LIFE logo on them.

Member for

12 years 11 months

Colour wartime Spitfire photo

Hi DazDaMan,

Yes nice colour pic of KL-T which was probably R6709 about that time. "Tommy" was passed on to 41, 452 and went missing with 313 Squadron on June 26 '41.

Kind regards brisfite41

Member for

21 years 1 month

Cheers for the additional info. :)