RAF College Aircraft Blue Bands

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

17 years 1 month

Some questions about the blue bands that were worn on RAF College Cranwell aircraft:
What are the correct colours/bs numbers?
I can only find photographs that show them on the rear fuselage, were they ever applied to the wings?
Were they used when RAF Training aircraft were painted silver?
The reason that I am asking is that several years ago I saw a Cadet Mk2 wing in a trailer at Lasham that was silver with the 2 tone blue band applied to it. On the underside of the wing there was a military registration beginning with a V.
I know that the RAF College Glider Flight / Gliding Club did operate 5 Slingsby T.8 Cadet Mk2’s XE758 – 762 which were converted from T.7 Cadet Mk1’s which had serials begging with VF and VM.
I am currently restoring Cadet Mk2 XE761 and want to return it to its correct military colours.
Thanks

Original post

Member for

17 years 4 months

Does this help?

Does this help?

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn93/xn584/BTv4JQ2kKGrHgoH-EEEjlLlLvtBKKBZ7iUM_1.jpg

Member for

18 years 4 months

I don't know the reference for the blue, but I think it was "Cambridge" (light) blue, as opposed to "Oxford" dark blue, as worn by the Chipmunks of Oxford UAS (note my avatar).

A related question: 115 Peterborough Squadron ATC had a Vampire T11 at the HQ at Westwood airfield from 1963 to 1973 (XE887). I recall when it was delivered it had Cranwell blue bands, but I can only find a reference to it serving with 4FTS. Is my memory playing tricks, or was it at Cranwell at the end of its career?
Here is a photo of it toward the end of its stay at Westwood (courtesy of Dave Ellis).

Attachments

Member for

17 years

When I was 14 the RAF College Cranwell Glider Flight had 2 Cadet MK.11's VM648 & XE760 in 1966-7. Both were silver overall with the Oxford/Cambridge fuselage bands . No dayglo on the airframes. Both in excellent condition but little flown. They both went to Bicester circa Feb.1970. VM648 I thought is in the East Fortune Museum. XE760 became BGA " CRK". No photos as I could not afford a camera in those days.

Member for

17 years 1 month

T.21

Fantastic. I once owned XE760 but passed it on to Robin Birch at Aston Down. My records show that both gliders were sold to the RAFGSA. I appreciate that it was a very long time ago but definately plain silver wings? Was the blue band on the fuselage between the registration and the roundel ?

Thanks.

Member for

17 years

Hello WB981,

Yes the banding was between the fuselage roundel and serial number,with the College crest on a white roundel midway centre on the banding. Codes were underwing also . They did not have blue bands on the wings. Apoint to bear in mind the College gliders had the AIR CADETS logo on the front fuselage sprayed out on the Sedberghs and Cadet MK.2's.

Member for

17 years 1 month

T.21

I have just found this photo which was taken at Weston Supermare which I believe is BGA1745 owned by C B Hogarth.

BGA1745 was previously XE760 at one time operated by the RAF College.

The questions I have are:

Does the blue band look in the correct position and where was the fuselage roundel in relation to the band - was it as close as the one in the Chipmunk photo on this thread?

Attachments

Member for

17 years 1 month

Further to my last post, in the back of the hangar at Aston Down today there was an ex RAFGSA Tutor that had been stored for years on a farm strip not far away from Filton. In addition to the Tutor there were to additional Tutor wings. One was dark red but the other was much more interesting. I was silver overall with dayglo panels on the outboard section, on the inboard section was the military registration VM648 and what appeared to be the RAF College blue band like on the fuselage of the aircraft in this thread!

Member for

17 years 1 month

I now have a photo. I wonder what Happened to the rest of this glider?

Attachments