WW2 Bomber Electrics

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

12 years 7 months

Anyone out there know where to find what voltage the main electrical systems/instruments were on the bombers used by the RAF during WW2? I know the Lanc & Mosquito both used 24V for most of their instruments. What about the rest?:confused:

Original post

Member for

19 years 7 months

Well they certainly used B-17's, B-24's, B-25's and B-26's to name a few as bombers, of which all were 24V.
I'd has it at a very good guess that certainly most, if not all of the american produced machines were all 24V.

Member for

13 years 8 months

24V is standard on most larger aircraft. 12V for the small stuff.

Member for

24 years 6 months

Early war RAF aircraft were 12 volt - I think the change to 24 volt came later on in the conflict. The Whitley was 12V.

Member for

16 years 10 months

so was the Wellington I think Elliot................

Member for

16 years 6 months

so was the Wellington

Only up to about MK X, I think (maybe even Mk. III).

I phrased that badly....I meant to say the Wellington was 24V from the Mk. X or maybe even earlier, in the Mk. III

Member for

16 years 10 months

I always find electrics to be a dark art, but weren't the American bombers essentially 28v systems?

Member for

13 years 8 months

... and as a direct answer to the question "Where can I find (detailed technical information on particular aircraft", the answer MUST be to locate maintenance manuals relevant to the aircraft, or someone with access to such, and consult them.

Member for

16 years 10 months

Good advice JT,

B-24, http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=hu1F9PTWG28C&pg=PA61&lpg=PA61&dq=b-24+liberator+electrical+system&source=bl&ots=gAlPD4R5LF&sig=7iVbrv5fIxAnoXX3ToLbKa0X80U&hl=en&sa=X&ei=EmtWT4yXMYnU4QS9h4ywCg&ved=0CCMQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=b-24%20liberator%20electrical%20system&f=false,http://www.scribd.com/doc/50649178/Pilots-Manual-for-Boeing-B-17-Flying-Fortress,

B-17F, G http://www.scribd.com/doc/50649178/Pilots-Manual-for-Boeing-B-17-Flying-Fortress

Which when I retrospectively went in search for answers to my question I found are 24V basic systems!

Strange, in my view of post there are two links to B-17 & B-24 manuals, but only one shows when posted:confused:

Member for

15 years

As has been said, some of the earlier aircraft had 12V DC systems but soon 24V DC became the norm - twice the voltage = half the current (Amps) for heavy loads such as engine starter motors. Engine driven generators had outputs of 28V to provide a charging voltage for the battery.

Other voltages are also present, typically 26V AC and 115V AC which were used for systems like remote compass (where a DC supply would have a magnetic effect) and gyro instruments where induction motors could be useful (no brush gear). These AC voltages were provided by 'inverters' that changed the DC supply to AC either for busbar distribution or for dedicated system use.

Nowadays (just for interest) all engine driven generators on larger aircraft are 115/200V AC devices of either fixed (pay attention Pagen, I will be asking questions later) or 'wild' frequency. The fixed frequency is 400Hz, the 'wild' frequency depends on engine speed. 24/28VDC is still used on smaller types.

Yes, electrical systems are my forte in life. Black art, and all that. Just great when no body knows what you are doing. And the airframes are only there to carry the electrics - who said that? :dev2:

Member for

16 years 6 months

I always find electrics to be a dark art,

That's because in Britain a lot of it was made by Joseph Lucas - the Prince of Darkness.:D

Member for

16 years 10 months

(pay attention Pagen, I will be asking questions later)

26V AC .... zzzz

er, um 115V AC remote comp... zzzz,

ah, where a DC supply would have a magnetic effect... zzz

I'm with you all the way Fieldhawk!

Nice one Aeronut, reminds me of my Rover days!

Member for

12 years 7 months

Many thanks for your replies. Sorry not to have replied earlier but have just had some repairs to the left undercarriage (new hip) and have been denied access to the net. Paul

Member for

17 years 8 months

:) Hope you are on the mend and full retraction checks were carried out satisfactory.