RAF evaluation of WWII Yak fighters?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 5 months

Were there ever any Yak fighters (3 or 9) evaluated by the RAF at Farnborough during WWII? I have a friend who is looking for an 'interesting/unusual' Yak scheme, and the topic came up in conversation today.

Original post

Member for

24 years 5 months

Interesting, thank you very much! :)

Member for

16 years 3 months

There is an updated version of that article located here:

http://redbanner.co.uk/History/Archive/JStorrar/Storrar_Yak.html

As well, this is a matter of further interest. It is alleged that Eric Brown piloted Soviet aircraft of the wartime era. I know that he flew an I-16 retrieved during the Spanish Civil War, but on various lists (e.g. Guinness Records, etc) are also given such types as the Il-2, Yak-9 and La-7.

How can this be? Where was Brown that he might have examined such aircraft? There is no record from the Russian side of any trip to the country by Brown, nor any representative of the RAE nor ADFU. I have no knowledge of any such aircraft visiting Great Britain, either during or after the war.

Were these flights made informally in occupied Germany post-war? Does anyone know the story behind these claims?

Member for

24 years 5 months

Yak...RAF...rang a bell...and I found this image that I had scanned some years back.

It was lurking in a large Spitfire file labeled 'Wojtek's pix'. :)

JAS...any takers?

Mark

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v634/Mark12/Wojtekspix045PeterArnold.jpg

Member for

18 years 4 months

Mark12;

The initials rang a bell because I remember seeing profiles of a P-51 carrying these markings. Then I remembered that it was the mount of Jas Storrar. Then, a quick bit of Googling produced this;

Seems as if Jas Storrar owned his own Yak-9! Must have been unusual!

"The personal hack of British pilot James Eric Storrar (due this carries his initials 'JAS'). Storrar served as a commander with 234th Squadron RAF, equipped with P-51 Mustangs, based at Trevisto in Northern Italy. This plane ruptured its oil tank during a flight, when all attempts to repair or replace the damaged item failed the Yak-9 was ceremonially burnt in the center of the airfield. Formerly this Yak served with Bulgarian AF and was hijacked by Bulgarian defector Alexandov. Note: standard British painting (Dark Green/Ocean Grey/Light Grey). 'Jas' is Storrar's nickname."

Regards;
Steve

Member for

24 years 5 months

Thanks all for your input

Note: standard British painting (Dark Green/Ocean Grey/Light Grey).

I find this unlikely, as the Bulgarian AF 'dataplate' stencil has been retained on the rear fuselage.

Member for

18 years 4 months

Hi Mike;

The description was taken from Google and is posted in it's entirety as found on the website.

However, after having had a close look at the photo, surely it's possible that the upper surfaces could have been re-painted in RAF colours? The dataplate appears to be painted on an area under the tailplane that may have retained it's original undersurface colours.

Just a thought.

Regards;
Steve

Member for

16 years 3 months

However, after having had a close look at the photo, surely it's possible that the upper surfaces could have been re-painted in RAF colours?

If you follow the link above you'll see a detailed description of this Yak's appearance (basically original Soviet VVS finish with RAF over-painting).

A number of RAF pilots flew VVS aircraft 'informally' in Yugoslavia, and even in Persia, but I have my doubts that this scenario would apply to Brown's case. Or, did it? It's a mystery....

Member for

20 years

Erik,

Eric Brown flew the Soviet types in occupied Germany at the end of the War, as you say on an informal basis - some of his books mention them (He also flew several unusal German types in the same senario, for example the Bv141)

For example, in his book 'Testing for Combat' (Airlife 1994) He described flying the La-7 (and mentioned the Il-2) in June 1945. He also talks of flying '9 contemporary Russian frontline aircraft'.

As to how he was able to, he introduces this chapter by saying "There was a short spell immediately after the Second World War when Allied test pilots like myself could eneter the Russian zone of occupation and be heartily welcomed, particularly if you were British..(due to the British having special status with Russians for sending aircraft to Russia).....and this benevolence could even be stretched to being allowed to fly the odd aircraft with the red star on the side."

The italics are my summation, but the rest is his text.

Member for

20 years

AS an aside re the Storrar Mustang, he had at least two marked 'JAS', one of which was converted to a two seater.

Member for

18 years 6 months

Before that a Spitfire.

http://img841.imageshack.us/img841/7466/imguxn.jpg

Member for

16 years 3 months

Erik,

Eric Brown flew the Soviet types in occupied Germany at the end of the War, as you say on an informal basis - some of his books mention them (He also flew several unusal German types in the same senario, for example the Bv141).

Dave, thanks for the clarification. I suppose that I should locate a copy of Testing For Combat and have a read....

Member for

15 years 2 months

There's a 1941 file, on the Yak-1, and a post-war file on a Polish Yak-9, in the National Archives.

Member for

20 years

Edgar,

Eric Brown is also listed as having flown Yak-11, Mig 15 and Mil 1,2 and 4 - but I don't think any of his books say where.

The late father of a friend once told me he thought there was a Mig retrieved after Suez.

Member for

19 years 2 months

Courtesy of Mike Lewis, Secretary of the 610 Sqn Association, come these two possibly new photos of Jas Storrar's Yak. New to me anyway. They originated from Storrar himself, who was CO of 610 in the 1950s.

Attachments

Member for

20 years

Thanks AT - I think I've seen the first before somewhere, but certainly never seen as good a shot as the second one.