Profile picture for user Peter

Member for

24 years 8 months

Wow she is really looking good!!
http://www.adf-messageboard.com.au/invboard/index.php?showtopic=1732

Original post

Member for

13 years 3 months

Wheres it currently based? Im thinking either USA or Australia?

If it ever visits the UK it would look great with the Blenheim.

Member for

16 years 9 months

It's in Australia. I didn't know that HARS has a beaufighter under restoration, though!

Member for

21 years 1 month

It looks great.

Member for

18 years 5 months

For some reason that website is blocked by my employers firewall :( Does anyone have a different link to info on this project please?

Member for

14 years 8 months

Try this link to the restoration website....:)

Member for

18 years 5 months

Thanks very much!

Member for

20 years 5 months

Oxcart, it would be better put "awaiting restoration."

G'day ;)

Member for

13 years 5 months

That looks fantastic! I take my hat off to all involved!

Member for

14 years 8 months

My apologies to Mick Raftery for "stealing" these pics from his post at adf-messageboard....

http://www.adf-messageboard.com.au/invboard/uploads/post-6-1314361450.jpg
http://www.adf-messageboard.com.au/invboard/uploads/post-6-1316081361.jpg

Taken by Mick Raftery in August last year. The engines sitting in the airframe are only to assist with setting up the exhaust system, plumbing, cowls, etc. I have been following this resto for many years. Ralph Cusack and his team have been doing a great job bringing this historic aeroplane back to life. With Ron Lee now on board, the pace is accelerating and I look forward to seeing it take to the skies again.:)

Member for

21 years 2 months

I've just finished reading Torpedo Leader by WCdr Pat Gibbs, about Beaufort ops in the Med from Malta, so I'm seriously in awe of the bravery of the crews that flew these aircraft in combat. Good luck to the restorers in their efforts to fly this rare and lovely aircraft.

Member for

16 years 9 months

Oxcart, it would be better put "awaiting restoration."

G'day ;)

Fair dinkum, mate!

Member for

18 years 5 months

I seem to remember reading somewhere that only two RAAF Beauforts were lost in air to air combat; one shot down by a Ki45 and the other by a B24 (!) Anyone confirm or disprove this?

Member for

14 years 9 months

Good to see some serious progress on this project. Still looks a long way to go though!

Member for

17 years 4 months

G'Day

The project is a very long term rebuild (think 15 years +) by Ralph Cusack. It is situated in Brisbane, Queensland, Australia and at the Caboolture Airfield.

a great achievement and Ralph has the drive to follow thru to completion.

cheers

Member for

20 years 3 months

QUOTE=D1566;1862821]I seem to remember reading somewhere that only two RAAF Beauforts were lost in air to air combat; one shot down by a Ki45 and the other by a B24 (!) Anyone confirm or disprove this?[/QUOTE]

The first DAP Beaufort flew in August 1941, and was one of a batch of 180 ordered by the RAF for use in the Far East, but when Japan entered the war in December 1941, it was agreed that all Beauforts would be taken over by the RAAF for the defence of Australia,becoming its most successful and important medium bomber.

The first 50 examples built in Australia were designated as Beaufort mark V aircraft, differing from the Bristol Beaufort mark I built in the UK due to the installation of Australian built, American designed Pratt and Whitney engines, but with the Bristol B4 mk1E turret, and an aft firing cupola gun fitted under the nose. The remainder of the first 180 examples ordered for the RAF were finished as mark VI, VII and VA models, with various differences to the original mark V aircraft such as an extended fin, addition of two guns fitted in gimbles in the nose, deletion of the under nose cupola gun and variations in propellor and engine fitouts.

The definitive Australian Mark VIII Beaufort was the most numerous built, with 520 examples numbered from A9-181 to A9-700, and fitted with a new Bristol B1 mark V dorsal turret and later the B1 mark VE, they had a significantly different rear fuselage shape to accomodate the higher mounting of the later turrets.

When production ceased in August 1944, a total of 700 Beauforts had been built. These aircraft served with numerous squadrons including Nos 1, 2, 6, 7, 8, 13, 14, 15, 32, and 100 and established an impressive operational record in operations against Japanese forces in New Guinea. They attacked shipping in all areas of the South-West Pacific and sank cruisers, destroyers and submarines, as well as bombing and strafing inland supply dumps and troops. They were also used for routine convoy protection and coastal reconnaissance.

Most of the Beauforts were phased out of service soon after the war, and today only three remain in various condition in Australia, with one being rebuilt to fly in Queensland and another in storage with the AWM, while another two exist in overseas collections.

I have been reading the book "Song of the Beauforts", which is the history of the first of those 10 operational squadrons, RAAF 100 Squadron which was formed in 1942 from the remanents of the RAF 100 Squadron Q Flight which had received the first Australian built Beauforts.

The book does mention the liberator incident along with two other aerial engagements, there is no mention of any aircraft being confirmed down by enemy aircraft fire, but of course some aircraft went missing without details of the cause, and this is the experience of only one of ten operational squadrons, however the book does raise the possibility that A9-188 was lost to a night fighter during a night raid on 20 May 1943.

During a search for the lost aircraft the next day remains of the aircraft were spotted by the crew of A9-191 about 1/2 a mile of the coast of New Britain and at the same time 6 zeros were seen rising from the nearby Gasmata airstrip, resulting in a half hour closing chase until the zeros' broke off due to apparant low fuel.

On 12 July 1943, a 100 Sqn aircraft A9-225, operating from Milne Bay was patrolling the Solomon Sea between Bougianville and New Britain when it approached a USN PB4Y Liberator.

It is remarked elsewhere in the book that the twin engined Beaufort had a passing resemblance to the Japanese twin engined Betty bomber.

The USN report into the incident claimed both aircraft fired at each other, but in anycase the Beaufort was shot down and the USN Captain was able to identify the ditched aircraft and downed crew as "friendly" and dropped a raft and lifejackets and reported their position.

Despite searches by 100 Squadron the dingy was not located due to weather until 26 days later on 6 August 1943, some 93 nautical miles from the ditching location when it was briefly spotted through a break in the cloud with 3 of the 4 crew still visible, however it was never again sighted and rumours persisted of the dingy making it to a Japanese held island near New Ireland and the survivors being beheaded.

Other aerial encounters include A9-208 on 20 July 1943 while patrolling in the same area as the aircraft above came across an enemy convoy consisting of a Carrier, three Cruisers and five Destroyers and was challenged by 3 Zekes.

After transmitting position of the convoy the Beaufort turned to base trying to outrun the Zekes but was subject to a closing attack from the rear. One Zeke was damaged with visible smoke pouring from it and broke off the engagement while the other two pursued the Beaufort which took violent evasive action and headed for a lonely cloud, where it evaded the pursuing zekes for 20 minutes. On return to base it had lost part of the tailplane and had 64 other bullet holes.

A much earlier and more surprising account is provided in the book of A9-38 encountering three enemy fighters while commencing a run on a destroyer in a convoy off New Britain on 1 December 1942.

The crew had earlier heard the mayday call of a B-17 as it was attacked and shot down by zeros and wondered what chance a Beaufort would have?

The Beaufort has a crew of 4, the pilot, who has access to the two wing guns, in this early aircraft they would be 0.303 brownings, the Bombaimer who had access to two 0.303 Vickers guns in the nose gimbles and a single 0.303 Vickers gun in the aft firing undergun. The Navigator had access to two 0.303 Vickers guns one each operating through beam hatches, and the wireless air gunner in the turret, this early aircraft would have had twin 0.303 Vickers guns in the turret.

The 3 zeros flew along the port side the Beaufort just as the Navigator opened his beam hatch, one Japanese pilot 40 yards away had an amazed look on his face and then all three raced ahead, the Beaufort pilot headed for a cloud while the zeros turned for an attack head on. The Navigator fired at the incoming aircraft from the nose and the turret fired at them as they returned for a beam attack, one aircraft was hit by fire from the turret while a second was hit by fire from one of the beam guns, resulting in two destroyed and the third breaking off the attack, remarkably there was no damage to the Beaufort.

While the Beaufort was slower than the other medium bombers in the Pacific theatre such as the B-25 and the A-20 Boston, the crews considered it more maneuverable than both.

I suspect there may be more Beauforts lost to enemy aircraft in the stories of the other 9 operational squadrons but I cant find evidence of any others in the book on the RAAF 100 Squadron.

Much maligned due to early losses from trim tab failure and a mixed performance as a Torpedo Bomber in the Pacific due to rushed training and failures of the American sourced torpedos, the Beaufort never the less performed very well overall in the Pacific in anti shipping, low level bombing and army support.

Beauforts participated in the defence of Milne Bay, the Battle of the Bismark Sea and numerous attacks on the Japanese stronghold of Rabaul, they were the backbone of RAAF bomber squadrons until arrival of the B-24 in RAAF service.

Beauforts undertook the first and last attacks by an Australian made aircraft and noted british aviation writer William Green wrote of the Beaufort, "This bomber's part in the defeat of the Japanese forces in the Southwest Pacific was probably of greater significance than any other single aircraft type in the RAAF".

regards

Mark Pilkington

Member for

13 years

Mark,Excellent post, my late father was a ENGFITT with 100SQN and served with the Squadron at Tadji till the end of the war. He gets mentioned in Colin Kings excellent book "Song of the Beaufort" and also seen in a couple of the books photographs. His greatest dream prior to his death was to view
A9-557 at the AWM as he had worked on this A/C on many occasion whilst he was at 100SQN. Regrefully, his dream was never realized.

Member for

20 years 3 months

Mark,Excellent post, my late father was a ENGFITT with 100SQN and served with the Squadron at Tadji till the end of the war. He gets mentioned in Colin Kings excellent book "Song of the Beaufort" and also seen in a couple of the books photographs. His greatest dream prior to his death was to view
A9-557 at the AWM as he had worked on this A/C on many occasion whilst he was at 100SQN. Regrefully, his dream was never realized.

That is a shame, she looks wonderful, I got a private viewing in October last year.

regards

Mark Pilkington

Attachments