Ex Booker A-26 Cockpit

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

16 years 6 months

Hi,

This year we have been busy working on our Douglas A-26 Invader cockpit that I believe used to be at Booker?? Much of the work has been on the underside wheel bay area with conservation work on a grand scale. Recently the interior and underside have been etch primed with various repair patches being fitted as we speak.

Now then, on to the appeal, this cockpit spent a number of years outside with much of the internal parts being "removed". Now that we are entering a stage where we can begin refitting parts this is a general appeal to anyone that might have any of the missing kit lurking around in your collection that can help aid this project.

Main items that would make a visual different (important for museum display) is the pilots seat, rudder pedal assembly, control column and yoke, instrument panel etc and any other bits that might have once originated to the airframe.

Your help would be most appreciated and no questions asked if you do have any parts from this airframe. ;)

Thanks to one and all.

Oh, one last thing, if anyone has any "spotted" pictures of this cockpit whilst in open air storage, we would love to see them.

Original post

Member for

19 years 8 months

Lovely cockpit was at Booker....I have pix somewhere. Did you see my warbird alley cockpitfest idea? Also i still have a part for you!

Member for

18 years 7 months

Don't have any parts, but do you have any pictures of the restoration? Would love to see them :)

Member for

16 years 6 months

Lovely cockpit was at Booker....I have pix somewhere. Did you see my warbird alley cockpitfest idea? Also i still have a part for you!

Yes, count me in to warbird alley! would love to see pics of the A-26 at Booker, we never did catch up at Shoreham about that Cobra bit.

Fouga, I will get some pics together when I am at the museum next, we have had our work cut out addressing the corrosion issues in the wheel bay, anyway you will see when I post the pics.

Member for

20 years 1 month

Redhill--

I remember seeing the Invader cockpit outside the little Booker museum on my one and (so far) only UK visit, in April 1989...as the Invader was and is a favourite of mine I'm sure I took a picture, will see if I can find and scan it.

Meantime, here's an entire Invader I recently saw at Gatineau, Quebec...inventive paintjob pays tribute to 1 Canadian Air Division Sabres!
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll260/StudeSteve/Classic%20Aircraft/100B4590.jpg

S.

Member for

24 years 8 months

It was outside at Catfield in Norfolk for donkeys years. I had a good look at it then, and thought it would be a good project for someone, but the owners didn't want to sell. I never took a picture though!

Member for

20 years 1 month

Nice Invader [ex-Air Spray sister of my Tanker 2]

Psssssst....don't call the paint Police......:eek:

Member for

17 years 9 months

Yes it was.... i passed it onto Dan :D

Member for

16 years 6 months

As promised here are some pics of the Cockpit. You can see the amount of corrosion in the wheel well prior to some extreme conservation work, we are now just fitting in various repair patches prior to a top coat of paint, then she will be rolled back over so the canopy can be refitted.

Member for

17 years

Looking good, must be a quite a collection or rare US cockpits you have there now. Do you still have the C-119 cockpit or am I getting muddled up with somewhere else?
Will the 26 be retaining it's K Vietnam markings?

Member for

16 years 6 months

We still have the C-119 but since it is post war, we are (when time permits) going to find it a new home, as we have a lot on the go already. We would like to get a few quid for it to help lube a few "restoration cogs" but not a huge amount.

Re the A-26, we are restoring her back to wartime spec since this fits in with the museum, the other reason is that B-26 parts are even harder to find than A-26 parts. We will however include the Vietnam side of things in the display.

Member for

16 years 6 months

Ok, so it has been a while since I last updated the A-26 Invader Cockpit Project thread but work has been ongoing all this time. A mile stone was reached earlier this year when the wheel well (the worse area for corrosion by far) was finally completed. The wheel well was blasted back to bare metal, all the corroded sections were then cut out and repairs put in place. Everything was then etch primed and top coated. The before and after highlights the challenges we had to face and it was pretty gutty & probably on the extreme side of restoration but really there was little option. As you can see the large crease in the wheel bay area is from the aircrafts last flight when it stalled on landing, that we concluded was beyond repair!

Attachments

Member for

18 years 7 months

Nice work!

Member for

18 years 3 months

Well done, You have done a fantastic job, great to see the then and now photos.

TA

Member for

16 years 6 months

Thanks guys, attached are some pics of the final roll-over having spent 2 years on her side, we had a purpose built stand made to fully support the section. These pics werer taken in August (playing catch up). The wheels are great, one person can push this about now.

Attachments

Member for

24 years 8 months

Great stuff; I looked over it on a number of occasions when it was sat just a few miles from me. It really was a mess.

Member for

16 years 6 months

Hi Bruce, I found this photo on the net, not sure when it was taken but sure wish we got hold of her in that condition!

Attachments

Member for

19 years 8 months

brilliant job Dan, well done....i am still digging out he booker pix

will it be at the Fest????!!!!

Member for

24 years 8 months

The B-26 arrived at Booker on the 16/4/88 and the Dakota left in March 1994 if that helps!

Member for

20 years 5 months

He's another one at Booker late 1988 [ATTACH=CONFIG]222735[/ATTACH]

Attachments