RAAF - Vietnam war veteran meeting

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

14 years 11 months

In a few weeks i might be lucky to meet a RAAF pilot who flew in the Vietnam war.

Not every day you can meet a person who flew missions in Vietnam so its a opportunity i am taking up.

I should mention that this person does fly aircraft and more importantly for us enthusiasts, a few interesting warbirds types in Australia when he can.

Will let you know what i learn and photos etc.

Phil

Original post

Member for

15 years 8 months

RAAF-Vietnam war veteran meeting

Very interesting, I had the luck of being stationed at Phan Rang AB,RVN. Our "next door neighbors" were #2 Sqdn RAAF flying Canberras. That outfit helped me out IMMENSELY when our Sqdn (612thTFS) moved to PR. I borrowed a forklift from them and a lot of other stuff my own AF couldnt provide. As I recall, all our F-100's had a small "Roo" on the vertical one morning.Something like "Fine Lads", stenciled below. Threw darts and shared a few drinks with these folks,VERY fond memories.

Member for

13 years 4 months

I remember trading cases of frozen steaks and chickens to the ANZACs at Nui Dat for cases of ice cold Victoria Bitters. Beat the hell out of the warm Carlings Black Label we got. I was at Long Thanh North. Vanguard was our callsign.
How about the Aussies in their psyop Porter blaring "Waltzing Matilda" over our base at 0500 hrs on the Fourth of July!!
Cheeky B*gg**s!