Blackwater/Hawley Lake area near Camberley

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

18 years 1 month

Up on the heathland between the A30 and Hawley Lake (used as the Royal Engineers training ground) there is a large area of gravel roughly rectangular in shape. Nowadays it's about 80 x 600 metres.
In the past week two different people have mentioned "it's where the runway used to be"
I'm aware of the two disused railway lines that the army used but a runway is news to me

Given that it's pretty much under the approach for Blackbushe(Hartford Bridge as was) I find it hard to believe.

My only thought is if it was for army observation aircraft - I vaguely recall a thread about those some time ago but don't recall mention of any in this area.

Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks
Bazza

Original post

Member for

17 years 3 months

A quick Google brought up the following-

UK Active & Disused Airports, Airfields, Heliports & Landing Sites

http://www.content-delivery.co.uk/aviation/airfields/Hawley.html

Airfields of Britain Consevation Trust

http://www.abct.org.uk/feedback

Some way down the fornt page "Was there ever an airfield at Hawley in Hampshire? One source has stated either military and/or civil activity may have happened in the past but details are extremely vague"

pprune from 2002
http://www.pprune.org/private-flying/67529-re-hawley-starve-acre.html

Hope this of some use.

RMR

Member for

20 years

Up on the heathland between the A30 and Hawley Lake (used as the Royal Engineers training ground) there is a large area of gravel roughly rectangular in shape. Nowadays it's about 80 x 600 metres.
In the past week two different people have mentioned "it's where the runway used to be"
I'm aware of the two disused railway lines that the army used but a runway is news to me

Given that it's pretty much under the approach for Blackbushe(Hartford Bridge as was) I find it hard to believe.

My only thought is if it was for army observation aircraft - I vaguely recall a thread about those some time ago but don't recall mention of any in this area.

Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks
Bazza

From John Bagley's 'Gazetteer of Hampshire Aerodromes'

Hawley SU842586

The official name of this airfield is uncertain , but two short concrete runways were built here about 1960 as a training exercise by the Royal Engineers, and have been used occasionally by the Army Air Corps

Member for

18 years 1 month

RMR/Philip, thanks for the info.

Google Earth clearly shows the old layout and there may well have been a second runway judging by the different vegetation.

Found this on Airfield Information Exchange....
STARVE ACRE: N51.19.19/W00.47.25. A strip here was used from circa 1964 by the AAC to teach Tactical Field landings etc( using Beavers ). and for AOP9 ops.Other aircraft seen to land there were Army helicopters including Allouettes. Harriers were reported to have also used the strip on rare occasions.Sources state that no use was reported after circa 1998.Runways (two ) are believed to have been gravel covered with tarmac. The tarmac has now been removed.

Bazza

Member for

15 years 8 months

This is very close to where I live its officially know as Starve Acre. Not been in use for some time( I have lived here 6 years and seen nothing). As others have said was regularly used in the 60's and 70's for AAC Beavers and Austers for off airfield training. I have been told by locals that it was used twice in the 70's for Harrier deployments 'for a couple of days each'. Although the area is Army land it is open to the public just watch out for squadies on exercise.

Member for

17 years 11 months

As a former trainee sapper I can vouch for its use during the late 1970s.

In summer 1976 we seemed to spend rather a lot of our time either "guarding" or "attacking" it. It used occasionally by AAC Beavers and on one memorable occasion Doug Arnold's Ju-52 made a dummy approach and flyby!