Greek plane crash sites

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

13 years 8 months

A number of weeks ago I asked whether anyone had information on the Northern Sporades and if there was anything known of the area during WW2 as it is off the beaten track so to speak.

I have been coming to the island of Alonissos on and off for nearly 20 years and have met a few of the locals on occasion. We normally stay near the sleepy port of Steni Vala, the port has 2 supermarkets and I would buy my supplies from Kostas Mavrikis. I knew he was a diver and was born on the island and an avid local historian.

This year when getting our supplies I was talking to Kostas and he mentioned he had just published a book on the area I decided to buy an English copy of 'These Scattered isles' Kotas knew of my interest in WW2 aviation matters and pointed me to the section in his book. There are 5 known ww2 plane crash sites 4 in the sea and 1 on the island of Alonissos.

Kostas in 2000 set up on the island a museum to show artifacts from the island amongst the exhibits are parts from this plane crash which are not identified but thought to be Ju88 here are some pictures

[ATTACH]197263[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]197264[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]197265[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]197266[/ATTACH]

These artifacts were donated to the musem by the land owners where the plane crashed at Marpounda on the island. I can recommend the book and proceeds from the sales go towards keeping the museum open the island.

Also in the book are underwater pictures of a Ju88 which crashed off the lighthouse of Psathoura.

Attachments
Original post

Member for

16 years 2 months

Facinating post!

I've wandered around the Islands and Mainland since the Colonels were in power and come across numerous memories of crashes etc, but very little hard evidence apart from when we so nearly landed short on Skiathos and made a splash!

In fact, the only actual relic I have seen was at Olu Deniz in Turkey, where there used to be the sad remains of a Bristol Mercury outside a beachside bar. Some fishermen had dragged it up and just left it.

Slightly away from topic, but I have quite a collection of pictures from the Americans showing assorted aerial activity over Greece during WW2, but they are almost all involving the mainland, including some para landings around the old airport just inland at Glyfada.

Member for

13 years 8 months

sporades

Yes certainly have memories of coming into land at Skiathos (the handbrake turn at the end of the runway) the look on the faces when the airport comes into view and whispers are we landing THERE always raises a smile.

Kostas book is an interesting read it covers from ancient times through to the 20th Century and the translation hasn't removed the colloquial style which shines through the pages. The Island has a very small resident population, there are still feelings attached to the events that echo through decades.

The Sporades (this gave us the Englsih word sporadic) 'Scattered Isles' played a part in the repatriation of over 1100 allied soldiers across to Turkey after the German invasion (the Allies paid the fishermen £6 for every combatant).

It is said that there are 12,000 wrecks in the area ancient and modern , the area is now a national marine park and diving has only just been allowed in the park.