582 Pathfinder Squadron - Operational Record Book

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

17 years 9 months

I don’t suppose anybody has a copy of the Operational Record Book for 582 Pathfinder Squadron for August and September 1944 do they?

Original post

Member for

13 years 2 months

582 Squadron O.R.B.

Hello there,
Long-time reader but new member.I have the 582 Squadron ORB.What are you looking for?
Regards,Mark.

Member for

17 years 9 months

Hi, welcome to the forum! :)

Thanks for answering my request; I’m trying to find out whether Lancaster PB512 was used operationally before it was lost in a flying accident on 23rd September 1944. From its serial number it probably wouldn’t have been delivered before August 1944.

Member for

13 years 2 months

582 Squadron O.R.B.

Hello,
PB512 apparently flew operationally at least three,possibly four, times with 582 Squadron, all in September 1944 and coded 'J';
13/9/44 Osnabruck,daylight,captain S/L Mingard,Master Bomber.
15-16/9/44 Kiel,night,captain F/L Pengilley.
17/9/44 Boulogne,daylight,captain S/L Mingard,Master Bomber,aircraft damaged by light flak.
Additionally,an aircraft coded 'J' with no serial listed flew on the night of 12-13/9/44,captain S/L Mingard to Frankfurt that could possibly be PB512.There is an odd sortie or two also listed for September 1944 listing neither serial or code,but obviously impossible to identify.
Hope this is of help,
Regards,Mark.

Member for

13 years 1 month

Fg Off R L Brown - (146692), 582 Sqn

Hello Mark,

Apologies for the unsolicited approach, but I wonder if you can help me. I read with interest that you have the 582 Sqn ORB. I am trying to research a Fg Off Reginald Lewis Brown (146692) who served as a Bomb Aimer on 582 Sqn between Mar - Sep 1943, then again between Oct 1944 and Feb 1945. I recently bought his campaign medals and a copy of his DFC recommendation and would love to find out a little more information about him. Does the ORB that you have cover either of these periods? He flew a total of 40 missions, 204.05 hours of operational flying. Although I have details of the targets and dates of his missions, it would be great to find out a bit more.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

regards

Johnn

Member for

13 years 2 months

582 Squadron O.R.B.

Hi John,
F/O R.L Brown posted in to 582 Squadron 18/9/44.Please check your PM in-box.
Regards,Mark.

Member for

13 years 1 month

Hi Mark, I've tried to email you but it keeps coming back as undeliverable. Please see my message in your PM box.

regards

John

Member for

11 years

Hi, I stumbled into this forum while searching internet for info on PB512, and saw Creaking Door's post below:
"Thanks for answering my request; I’m trying to find out whether Lancaster PB512 was used operationally before it was lost in a flying accident on 23rd September 1944. From its serial number it probably wouldn’t have been delivered before August 1944."

I have the personal diaries and log book of R H Allen who was a Flight Engineer and Bomber with 582, and served between 1943 and 1945 including 56 operations. The Log book mentions date, aircraft, pilot, capacity he flew as, details of the operation, and hours by day / night. Here's the strange part: he mentions that he flew in PB512 on 30.9.44 and even adds comment that he took controls for 10 minutes. Obviously, something wrong here. The info is written very neatly so I doubt it is me reading it wrongly, and the date given is between 2 others in sequence, so this is strange indeed.