Wooden airscrews?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

13 years 5 months

I apologize if this subject has been beat to death, but our museum's Spit Mk IXe has a four bladed propellor that is made of wood. I have heard many reasons, but I was hoping someone on this forum could clear up the confusion.

Wood because it is a non-strategic material, or because in case of a belly landing the wood will shatter and not destroy the crankshaft in the engine?

An (old) inquiring mind wants to know.

Thank you for any information.

John

Original post

Member for

24 years 5 months

Wood is also light (> lower inertia > quicker throttle response) and - in case of a propeller - probably more easy to use for the complex shape that a propeller blade has while retaining adequate material properties.

Member for

18 years 2 months

Also better vibration dampening qualities.

Member for

17 years 11 months

The Rotol prop blades are not plain wood but are high pressure resin impregnated laminates finished with an early plastic coating. One of the trade names was Jablo.

John

Member for

13 years 5 months

Wooden airscrews

Were the original prop blades 'plain' wood, or were they resin impregnated also?

Thank you

Member for

21 years 3 months

I'm just reading Rotol, The History of an Airscrew Company by Bruce Stait at the moment...the Rotol wooden blades weren't specifically selected because wood was a non-strategic material, although it was undoubtedly a help. The company developed wooden and magnesium blades at the same time, but found that the wooden blades were better in terms of production and repairability. There were three types of wooden laminate used, Jablo, Jicwood and Hydulignum.

Interestingly, some Rotol props were based on the German VDM type, and one of the most important machines used in Rotol's factory throughout the war was of German manufacture too......

Member for

21 years

Were the original prop blades 'plain' wood, or were they resin impregnated also?

Thank you

The originals were indeed a resin impregnated compressed multi-ply material - as stated earlier. The modern Spitfire prop blades are made in Germany largely to the same recipie!
I'm just reading Rotol, The History of an Airscrew Company by Bruce Stait at the moment.

A fascinating book - well worth reading :-)