Cape May Air Race 1971

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

13 years 7 months

My name is Anna Virginia SNYDER Stephens. My father, Edwin H. Snyder Jr. was one of 4 T-6 pilots to go down during that fateful day, June 5,1971.
Richard Minges wing clipped a pylon and he went down. The debri from his plane caused the second plane to go down. There was confusion in the tower and on the ground. Conflicting messages were sent out to the pilots which caused my father's plane and the 4th plane to collide and go down. All 4 men died instantly.

This fateful day, still holding the record as being the worst disaster in air racing history, changed the course of my life and the lives of all our family.
I was eighteen yrs. old and my father was my best friend.
I, being the youngest of 3 children, was the only one still at home when my dad began racing and doing air shows. I used to fly with my dad several times a week, as he practiced his aerobatics over the ocean. Each and everytime we headed back to the airport, we would buzz our house and rock the wings as my mom stood in the front yard waving back at us. This is a huge part of my history and I will these memories close to my heart as long as I am on this earth.

footnote.....My father and the first pilot, Richard Minges, were best friends. They met on the racing circuit and instantly had a bond.
They died together, doing what they loved the most.

Original post

Member for

19 years 5 months

Hi Anna, welcome to the forum.

I don't remember this tragedy (but it was nearly 40 years ago) so it was very poignant to read your first post.

As you say the event changed you and your family's life but if you can accept the fact that I and many other forum members are reading with some detatchment please tell us more - your father's flying life (had he flown as a career?), did any benefit come out of the tragedy (change of rules?), is there a memorial to the events of that day, etc?

Roger Smith.

Member for

16 years 10 months

Yes welcome Anna. I would of been just five years old at the time so not old enough to remember this sad event. What a terrible tragedy and loss of life for the pilots who died doing what they loved so much, and for the families they left behind.

As Roger says please feel free to share any other memories or photos you may have of yours and your fathers time whilst flying.

Rob.

Member for

13 years 11 months

I was there, after delivering several VIP corporate passengers in Flying Magazine's Shrike Commander, but I left before the crashes.

Member for

19 years 10 months

I was a teenage at the time, and being an aviation fan, read accounts of the disaster with great sadness. I also recall some TV news film on network news broadcasts. (Remember, film of disasters were much less common in those days before video cameras and cell phones).

Recently, I've read (on the internet) that the crash caused New Jersey to ban all air racing. A knee jerk reaction perhaps?

Member for

20 years 1 month

There certainly was no next year for the Cape May NAR. If NJ banned air racing after the Cape May T-6 tragedy, there was a precedent for such a drastic reaction: the horrific 1955 Le Mans accident that killed eighty spectators prompted Switzerland to abandon its Grand Prix for that year...and motor racing ever afterward! (There were two "Swiss GPs" in the late 70s/early 80s...but they were run at Dijon, in France.)

Ginny, thank you for a poignant post about a little-remembered tragedy in air racing and aviation history.

S.

Member for

13 years 4 months

Regarding the Cape May Air Race held in early June 1971, we have just discovered this accident.

"We" is Motorsport Memorial. We research all racing fatalities in the attempt to remember and memorialize those who have been killed while racing, or related to racing, such as practice, testing, or attempting to break a recognized world or national record.

We have nearly 10,000 names registered in our site.

An important part of the site is the "Lest We Forget" section, which is a start at memorializing all people involved in racing who have passed away by natural causes or non-racing causes.

It is a morbid, unpleasant and too often forgotten subject for many casual fans of racing.

Motorsport Memorial is the only source which covers this subject on an international level.

- - - -

And then there are the family members of our subjects.

Hi Ginny,

Thank you for the posting. My sympathy to you and your family for your loss.

I am the only pilot (inactive) and race car driver (very retired) who does the work of Motorsport Memorial. We have a few dozen regular contributors of information, and literally hundreds of other people who send us bits and pieces that help to add to our pages.

REGARDING THE CAPE MAY AIR RACE OF 1971:

I have entered a page on the fatality of Richard Minges, which can be seen at this address:

http://www.motorsportmemorial.org/focus.php?db=a&n=10123

His was the first of the two accidents. I have started to put together pages for the other three men, Edwin Snyder, Victor Baker and Joseph Quinn.

I would like to have the names of the remaining three survivors of this race. One may be Donald Barrett (or Barratt?), who was the pilot of the plane damaged by Minges plane. Barrett managed to land safely without injury. Barrett was reported to be a pilot for American Airlines.

Any accurate information about these accidents would be appreciated. Appropriate photos can also be added to the pages.

Any information can be sent to my e-mail address at

[email]erkelly2@cox.net[/email]

As to the nickname used in this Forum, it has nothing to do with flying.

While practicing for a race at Cumberland, Maryland, in 1956, I was curious to see if I could take a corner "flat out" in third gear without lifting on the gas pedal.

A very long, controlled slide proved that I could not. The airport course was marked in several places with peach baskets. Somehow I managed to collect every basket on that corner. My mechanic spent an hour getting all the shards out of the engine compartment, the brake drums, all the while muttering "Piloto Peaches @!%$&#*** hero driver."

As to my interest in the subjects of Motorsport Memorial, my father died early in WW-II in the crash of an O-47 near Miami while searching for submarines. The last message from the crew was that they were going down to check on something. The pilot obviously forgot to keep the carburetors free from ice build-up and they hit the water with no time to respond or radio for help.

Hope this reaches Ginny

Member for

12 years 11 months

Cape May Air Race 1971 - Another Witness

I know it has been a while since this was posted. But Friday’s tragedy at Reno prompted me to Goggle “Cape May Air Races Accident”. I was surprised by the small number of hits I got but this was one that came up. My wife and I were at Cape May that day and it was something we will never forget. It was matched (years later) when I watched two Hueys collide in Vietnam and both go down with their crews.

I don’t mean to be argumentative. I am 74 years old and what seems very vivid to me today may not be as accurate as I remember. So it is not my intention to contradict anyone. But I remember it as follows. The T-6s/SNJs were parked directly in front of us. They all started taxing out for the race except one pilot who could not get his engine started. A well-known stunt pilot by the name of “Big Ed” Mahler went over and hand-propped the T-6; they got it started and the pilot taxied off at a high rate of speed to catch up with the others. He was one of those who did not return to his parking space after the race. Mahler died at Suffolk County Airport in 1977 when the tail of his biplane fell off at 300 feet. The group of racers flew past our grandstand with Bob Hoover flying pace in his yellow P-51. Hoover peeled up and away to start the race and they all headed toward the first pylon which was off to our right. Before they got to the first pylon, there was a collision, one plane lost part of one wing and went down, right side up, in a flat spin. The other pilot managed to land his airplane and all he had, I believe, was a damaged canopy. The race continued. The third time they came around, two planes collided going into the second pylon, across the field from where we were. A third airplane flew into the collision debris. Three pilots died in that second incident.

My wife and I drove home to Pennsylvania in stunned silence as we listened to the radio to try and learn more about the tragedy. The day became even more tragic when the news revealed that famed Bearcat pilot Bill Fornof was killed that same afternoon at an air show at NAS Quonset Point, RI.

I just went to the NTSB Website and copied the following.

N1046C REMARKS- NR4 PSN.HIT WHEN OVERTAKEN BY N1974M. LANDED WITHOUT FURTHER DMG (SNJ)
N1974M REMARKS- NR5 PSN,6 PYLON 3.1MI AIR RACE.OVERTOOK N1046C,HIT RUDDER,CANOPY.OUTER 10FT WING SEPD. (T-6)
N3626F REMARKS- RACE CNLD 3RD LAP BY SMK BMB,PRIOR ACDNT 1ST LAP (SNJ)
N5489V REMARKS- PULLED UP,SLIGHTLY RIGHT,INTO N3626F DRG 3RD LAP (T-6)
N9735Z REMARKS- CRASHED AVOIDING MID-AIR COLLISION BETWEEN 2 OTHER ACFT IN LOW LEVEL CLOSED COURSE AIR RACE. SNJ[/SIZE][/FONT]

On another part of the NTSB Website, I found the following. I have no personal knowledge of it, but it looks like N1046C was involved in a two-fatality crash about 10 years after the Cape May Race.

7/4/1981 WALL, TX N.AMERICAN SNJ-5 N1046C Fatal(2)
PROBABLE CAUSE(S) PILOT IN COMMAND - FAILED TO OBTAIN/MAINTAIN FLYING SPEED REMARKS- ENTERED SPIN DURING MOCK DOGFIGHT.

Member for

12 years 11 months

I know it has been a while since this was posted. But Friday’s tragedy at Reno prompted me to Goggle “Cape May Air Races Accident”. I was surprised by the small number of hits I got but this was one that came up. My wife and I were at Cape May that day and it was something we will never forget. It was matched (years later) when I watched two Hueys collide in Vietnam and both go down with their crews.

I don’t mean to be argumentative. I am 74 years old and what seems very vivid to me today may not be as accurate as I remember. So it is not my intention to contradict anyone. But I remember it as follows. The T-6s/SNJs were parked directly in front of us. They all started taxing out for the race except one pilot who could not get his engine started. A well-known stunt pilot by the name of “Big Ed” Mahler went over and hand-propped the T-6; they got it started and the pilot taxied off at a high rate of speed to catch up with the others. He was one of those who did not return to his parking space after the race. Mahler died at Suffolk County Airport in 1977 when the tail of his biplane fell off at 300 feet. The group of racers flew past our grandstand with Bob Hoover flying pace in his yellow P-51. Hoover peeled up and away to start the race and they all headed toward the first pylon which was off to our right. Before they got to the first pylon, there was a collision, one plane lost part of one wing and went down, right side up, in a flat spin. The other pilot managed to land his airplane and all he had, I believe, was a damaged canopy. The race continued. The third time they came around, two planes collided going into the second pylon, across the field from where we were. A third airplane flew into the collision debris. Three pilots died in that second incident.

My wife and I drove home to Pennsylvania in stunned silence as we listened to the radio to try and learn more about the tragedy. The day became even more tragic when the news revealed that famed Bearcat pilot Bill Fornof was killed that same afternoon at an air show at NAS Quonset Point, RI.

I just went to the NTSB Website and copied the following.

N1046C REMARKS- NR4 PSN.HIT WHEN OVERTAKEN BY N1974M. LANDED WITHOUT FURTHER DMG (SNJ)
N1974M REMARKS- NR5 PSN,6 PYLON 3.1MI AIR RACE.OVERTOOK N1046C,HIT RUDDER,CANOPY.OUTER 10FT WING SEPD. (T-6)
N3626F REMARKS- RACE CNLD 3RD LAP BY SMK BMB,PRIOR ACDNT 1ST LAP (SNJ)
N5489V REMARKS- PULLED UP,SLIGHTLY RIGHT,INTO N3626F DRG 3RD LAP (T-6)
N9735Z REMARKS- CRASHED AVOIDING MID-AIR COLLISION BETWEEN 2 OTHER ACFT IN LOW LEVEL CLOSED COURSE AIR RACE. SNJ[/SIZE][/FONT]

On another part of the NTSB Website, I found the following. I have no personal knowledge of it, but it looks like N1046C was involved in a two-fatality crash about 10 years after the Cape May Race.

7/4/1981 WALL, TX N.AMERICAN SNJ-5 N1046C Fatal(2)
PROBABLE CAUSE(S) PILOT IN COMMAND - FAILED TO OBTAIN/MAINTAIN FLYING SPEED REMARKS- ENTERED SPIN DURING MOCK DOGFIGHT.

I want to correct something I wrote above. I saw two Hueys collide before I witnessed the Cape May crashes, not after. The Hueys were from the 1st Air Cav Division at An Khe, Vietnam and it happened in late 1965 or early 1966.

Member for

12 years

I was googling the Cape May Air Races and found this thread. Although the thread is now old I thought I'd add a little.
I volunteered to help the man running the race, Truman Weaver, as I was stationed at USCG TraCen at that time and had obtained my pilot license the year before, having been trained by Bob Cornett of Atlantic City and Knocky Nordheim.
The T-6 crashes were just as awful as described. I had had dinner the evening before with the Weavers and a number of the pilots attending the Race. I particularly remember Ed Snyder as he was one of the most gracious and kind people you would ever meet.
The next day at the T-6/SNJ race the aircraft did a flight around the course and flew just in front of the stands, going left to right and then the pace plane pulled up and to the right out of the path and the race was on. My recollection is that the pace plane was a T-6 or SNJ flown by Ernest "Pinky" Opp who also flew aerobatic demonstrations at the Races. Just as the planes were approaching the first pylon and as they were entering the turn there was a midair collision. I had a series of slide photos that I took but they are lost/misplaced/missing. But, what they indicated, as I remember, is that the plane that was hit on the canopy and just behind the pilot was not maintaining altitude but was climbing and as they started the bank the other plane's left wingtip hit the canopy and the wingtip was knocked off. I don't recall how much of it but I believe it was about 8-10 feet. That plane that lost its wingtip immediately went out of control and into the ground with a fatal impact. The plane that was hit on the canopy then went straight ahead then climbed to the right and then came back to land. The NTSB report indicated that the canopy impact was from that aircraft being overtaken, however. It was a long time ago and I certainly may be incorrect.

The race continued. I asked about that but was informed that the rules were that the race continued in case of an accident. In about the third lap there was a midair straight across the field, and over the trees on the backside of the course. I could not see what happened but could surely hear it and there was the first crash and just a second or two later another crash then you could hear an engine revving to very high rpm presumably from having lost a propeller.

The races had been just fine before that but the events of that day have never been forgotten.

It was a long time ago and I certainly may have made a mistake here or there but just thought I'd add this bit of information (or misinformation as the case may be).

After rereading the above post I hadn't remembered the rudder damage of the surviving T-6. Maybe it was overtaken or maybe the rudder was hit by the wingtip of the other T-6. Sorry, but I don't remember where the rudder damage was and don't have any photos as far as I know.

Member for

12 years

Pictures of your Dad and his plane

Ginny,

I ran across your note about your father. I don't know if you would remember us, but our fathers were friends and we visited you in Jacksonville (stayed at your house) when we were very young (1969 ish) .We are from Ohio and there were five boys in my family...kind of hard to forget...and we were your Dad's pit crew at the cleveland air races. I have some pictures that I would like to email you of your family, your Dad's plane and us on the plane if you would like them. Your Mom and Dad were some of the nicest people our parents knew. Both my parents have past away but these pictures sure help in remembering them.
My email address is: [email]pwood@tricosecurity.com[/email].

Hope all is well with you.

Peter Wood

Member for

7 years 9 months

Hi Anna,

My name is Robin Minges Cozzolino. My brother is Richard Minges and I ran across your post and felt the need to reach out to you. I was very young when this horrible accident happened. I am sorry you lost your father on this day as well as I am sorry I lost my brother. I feel due to this that fact that you and I have a bond. I am wondering if you may have any photos? I have none of Richard and would love to at least have one. Even though I was very young I still remember Richard and can picture his face. I hope to hear from you and hope you are doing very well