TV Series Fighter Pilot

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

13 years 7 months

I have just finished watching this great series on DVDs I aquired on the the internet (sadly, the series has never been officially released) Wonderful TV. I then managed to aquire the book of the series as well.
However, at the end of it all I was left wondering just what became of the six guys that the series followed from initial selection to the front line.
The only one to actually get onto fast-jets was John McCrea (XV Sqd, Buccaneers). Where is John today???
The others were: Rhod Smart, Allister Stewart, Robbie Low, Trevor Lewis and Martin Oxborough (I believe Martin went on to fly Hercules).
Does anyone have any info on what these fascinating guys are doing today???

Original post

Member for

19 years 6 months

Rhod Smart ended up as a Navigator (if he is the same one I am thinking off....doing a spell at BD) Phantoms....74Sqn

Member for

18 years 1 month

I have just finished watching this great series on DVDs I aquired on the the internet (sadly, the series has never been officially released) Wonderful TV. I then managed to aquire the book of the series as well.
However, at the end of it all I was left wondering just what became of the six guys that the series followed from initial selection to the front line.
The only one to actually get onto fast-jets was John McCrea (XV Sqd, Buccaneers). Where is John today???
The others were: Rhod Smart, Allister Stewart, Robbie Low, Trevor Lewis and Martin Oxborough (I believe Martin went on to fly Hercules).
Does anyone have any info on what these fascinating guys are doing today???

It was on the telly, I think 80s. TV series only covered six...there was another one, in the book, went onto Lightnings.

Member for

20 years 11 months

EasyJet, BMI, BA at a rough guess!

Member for

15 years 11 months

Forget Buccaneers - fly a real aeroplane!!

This is what they had in my day.

= Tim

Member for

15 years 2 months

I'm with you Cotteswold

mossies

Member for

18 years 10 months

Found this photo of Robbie Low on my pc - saved not that long ago but I can't remember the details, although it was from fairly recently IIRC?

Oh and now I've found this link:
http://www.thesun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/news/2573904/Scottish-RAF-heros-Afghan-mission.html which dates from last year, which means that Robbie is 53 now.... jeeze how time flies eh? :eek:

Attachments

Member for

13 years 11 months

where did you get hold of this? I would love to see it again
:)

Member for

24 years 6 months

Interesting that this thread has come up...

I was, by chance, given a copy of the accompanying paperback book the other day....

Clive.

Member for

17 years 4 months

Didn't know there was a paperback? I remember the hardback book. I still have the series on VHS tapes somewhere in the loft. Ahh, JPs, BBC Radiophonic Workshop music... all seems so old now!

Member for

24 years 6 months

I vaguely remembered some interesting title music....but I still can't quite bring it to mind how it went.:o..even though I could nearly hear it when reading the book.;)

Clive.

Member for

17 years 7 months

I vaguely remembered some interesting title music....but I still can't quite bring it to mind how it went.:o..even though I could nearly hear it when reading the book.;)

Clive.

Interesting is one word for it. Title music only the 80's could love me thinks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wk-ctyePtuU

Member for

24 years 6 months

Thank you for the link Matty..:) I remember now.;)

Clive.

Member for

24 years 6 months

If you'll excuse the tangent, I've just spotted the thread starter's screen name - neat, very mysterious. :D (Everyone, pretty much, round here should get it, and feel a trifle pink if you don't).

Peter, that's stunning! You in a fourth at the back of the formation? Sorry Tim, not often your pics get upstaged, but I think Peter has succeeded!

Adrian

Member for

15 years 11 months

Aha - but was he flying in one of them??

Not proud!!

= Tim

Member for

13 years 7 months

where did you get hold of this? I would love to see it again
:)

Go onto YouTube type in "tvfilmglamdirector" and take it from there. There's other good stuff on there as well. The sound quality for the first 20-odd minuets of the first disc is a bit dodgy, otherwise spot on.

Member for

17 years 4 months

I could nearly hear it when reading the book.

I was just a tad confused by the mention of a paperback as I thought the BBC book was only published in hardback. Another book called "RAF Fighter Pilot" was published in both hard and soft back editions (which I wrote) and heaven-knows how many people thought it was a spin-off from the series. It wasn't, it was just a poor choice of similar title!

Member for

24 years 6 months

Scan of the paperback cover.

Clive.

I should add;.... ISBN 0-7088-2193-6

Futura Publications/BBC 1982..

Attachments

Member for

15 years

It was on the telly, I think 80s. TV series only covered six...there was another one, in the book, went onto Lightnings.

Yes it was, late 80s I think. I used to have it on VHS but I chucked all those out when I got a DVD player. Daft really, but just didn't have the room anymore.

Regards

Member for

17 years 4 months

Blimey, I've never seen the softback edition before. It's a shame they didn't release it on DVD although I guess that by modern standards it would be a bit naff production-wise, but still very nostalgic. I must get my VHS tapes put onto disk!

Remember the Test Pilot series too? It was very similar in terms of production and the featured aircraft were even more delightful... ahh that magnificent Lightning...