RAF El Adem, Libya

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

14 years 10 months

l was serving as a Medic at RAF El Adem, Libya from 1965 till 1967. On my return to the UK I wrote to the RAF Museum Hendon for some info about the station. They kindly sent this info

Attachments
Original post

Member for

17 years

That picture of the Vulcan shadow being cast over 'Lady Be Good' is a classic!

Member for

17 years 7 months

El Adem in the 50s

Hi Nitro
You stirred a memory.
I flew into El Adem in Sept. 1957 to repair a stranded Canberra B2 I was a cpl elect fitter. During my 3 day stay I visited Tobruk which in those days was much as Rommel had left it! I srolled through the sand dunes to a lovely beach for a swim only to find that I had walked through an uncleared WW2 minefield. I was rescued by an army bomb disposal landrover. Happy days.

Paddy R

Member for

17 years 4 months

We had a civilian Forecaster posted into the Met Office at El Adem in the early 50's. He used to like to go for long walks in the "bundoo" on his afternoons off. He came back one day and said "I found this white line painted on the desert - what does it mean?". "Ah," we said, "did you cross this line at right angles, or did you walk along it?". "No", he said, "I crossed it". "In which case" we said, "you either went out of a cleared area into a minefield, or went out of a minefield into a cleared area"!!!
The word was, in them days, "Find a white painted line and then walk along it.".
Different world!
HTH
Resmoroh

Member for

15 years 4 months

Thinking about 'lines in the sand', I remember from the early '50s, that when flying in to El Adem from Egypt one could see a rusty line across the desert. This was from the barbed wire barrier erected during the war at the Libyan/Egyptian frontier.

Member for

14 years 10 months

My first week at El Adem was an lnduction Course including what NOT to do, this included not going off the desert roads by more than 100 yds as you were likely to step on a mine. There were minefield maps but they were not very accurate, so l never went off the desert roads.

After severe sandstorms which exposed the minefields, Libyans would collect mines, put them on board their rowing boats and go out into Tobruk harbour. They would throw the mines into the water & if they exploded the dead fish would float to the surface.

One day two Arab children had picked up a German S-mine, they took it to Tobruk beach & tried to throw it into the water. Tragically the mine detonated before it reached the water & decapitated them both.

Member for

16 years 3 months

Father dropped by El Adem in 1943 on his way to Blida with 36 squadron

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v704/mach1mike/ElAdem.jpg

Member for

14 years 10 months

This photo shows the slipway & German WWII Cemetery at Tobruk in 1966. l've got lots of photos on slides but l can't afford to get them converted.

Attachments

Member for

15 years 5 months

l've got lots of photos on slides but l can't afford to get them converted.[/QUOTE]

I think it possible to buy an adaptor to fit a scanner for scanning in slide images so that you can process them yourself or take them for printing.
I used to see a few for sale on Ebay so maybe they are still available.

best regards

Member for

14 years 10 months

l've got lots of photos on slides but l can't afford to get them converted.

I think it possible to buy an adaptor to fit a scanner for scanning in slide images so that you can process them yourself or take them for printing.
I used to see a few for sale on Ebay so maybe they are still available.

best regards[/QUOTE]

l've tried three scanners in stores & none of them work, so l'll get them done at Jessops.