RAF serial typography

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

14 years 7 months

Does anyone know of any guides the lettering of serials on RAF aircraft in the post war years, there looks to have been some variation over the years but I'd either like to know the font or any manuals that may be floating around.

Nothing I have matches up 100% with that which was applied.

Original post

Member for

14 years 7 months

Anyone?

Also I'm after the same info for the interwar years, any book or starting point would be very very helpful.

Member for

24 years 8 months

There is a drawing!

I use the Modellers datafile on the Mosquito, which has a copy of said drawing, with dimensions. Its also in the one on the Meteor. I've used it for a number of aircraft - LF363, TA122, WP790 etc.

Bruce

Member for

16 years 9 months

Bombing Colours - RAF bombers, their marking and operations 1937-1973 by Michael Bowyer -ISBN 0 85059 128 7 ?

Lots of line drawings/positions etc - but I dont recall a font being explained.

I have a copy somewhere..

Member for

17 years

The best guides I ever saw on sizes and fonts used by all post-war aircraft was in the old generic Modeldecal sets. They were a fantastic resource (quite apart from the actual decals), unsure if they are still available or not.
There will be an AP that covers this, and the location for each aircraft, plus the ellusive codes locations for operational use by aircraft that didn't always carry them, V-Bombers etc.
Beware because the serial sizes can vary even on same types, Canberras being a good case.

Member for

14 years 7 months

Many thanks for that info on the WWII and immediate post war markings, that's one down! :)

I'll also look out the Bomber markings book.

Just the Pre WWII stuff to source.

I do have a copy of the fonts from simmers but always end up having to edit them as they are just a little too heavy compared to the reference photos I have, hence the desire to get total accuracy.

Member for

17 years 10 months

Will dig the font designs out for you if I remember, any specific aircraft you looking for??

Member for

17 years 10 months

Pre ww2 might have some plates of the sqn ones

Member for

16 years 9 months

RAF Font

I have used this RAF FONT and fond it to be fairly accurate.

http://www.bobsyouruncle.net/font-types.htm

As I use a mac - I had to do some jiggery pokery to transfer it across - but it works well.

Member for

13 years 10 months

Try 'Aircraft Camouflage and Markings 1907-1954', Bruce Robertson, Harleyford Publications Ltd, 1956. On page 102 you will find 'Royal Air Force Identity Markings 1915-1954'. Roundel types with size ratios of circles and colours, fin flashes colours and sizes, 'P' prototype marking colour and size and...
...serial marking dimensions for fuselages and wings.

Last time I looked Abebooks had a copy. Hope this helps.

Member for

15 years 8 months

AP pages

Perhaps these may help:-

Member for

21 years 2 months

hey inky,

you will get slapped, why did you not ask me about the interwar fonts.

mail me:diablo:

Member for

21 years 2 months

here what i used for the singapore,

some you have to modify.

Attachments

Member for

21 years 2 months

A word of caution: (although my frame of reference is the WWII Period) - the 'standard' fonts and setting out diagrams were interpreted by the manuafcturers in different ways - they all had their own distinctive styles and often there were differnces between individual factories and even production batches. Also some were applied as stencils (and therfor had 'twigs' breaking up each letter/number) such as later Castle Bromwich produced Spitfires and others were sign-written - in solid letters. Generally when creating artwork for a serial (if I don't have a period photo of the aircraft in question) I look at other aircraft nearby in the serial range. For example there are differences in serial font style between different production batches of PR.XI Spitfires and so for PL965 (in the absence of a photo of the serial) we have found examples of aircraft that were produced near her manufacturing date and followed the style of those.

Member for

12 years 11 months

Drawings

Perhaps these may help:-

Hello Terry,

Where these drawings have come from? They're great.

Rog

Member for

12 years 11 months

thanks

nice one mate!