75th Anniversary of the first flight of the Hurricane

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

16 years 4 months

On the 6th November 1935 the first flight of the Hawker Hurricane took place, the aircraft took off from Brooklands Airfield Weybridge Surrey, I believe George Bulmer was the test pilot. As this year is the 75th anniversary of that flight and also the 70th anniversary of the Battle of Britain does anyone know if this event is being celebrated anywhere?.

Original post

Member for

20 years

I believe Brooklands Museum are celebrating the event on the 6th with film shows, Hurricane personalities and a Hurricane flypast at around 1pm. They are also planning to unveil their own Hurricane with its engine and propeller in place. Are there any other events happening?

Member for

14 years 9 months

The seeming lack of publicity sadly reflects the public perception of the Hurri as opposed to the "iconic" Spit. It would nice to think that History or Yesterday or the Beeb might set the record straight, but I am not optimistic..........:(

Member for

24 years 6 months

...Should that not be George BULMAN!

Member for

19 years 6 months

In my house, every day is Hurricane Day! (Homage to Hairspray!):)

PWS George Bulman!

Member for

19 years 11 months

Thanks Nosmo King and Triumph 1,

I am looking forward to attending the event..

Yes, the lack of interest in the Hurricane is still going on.. At Cosford recently, A new world record was set by building 350 model Spitfires, need I say more?

Here's to the Hurricane...

GASYD

Member for

20 years

No sign of any programs on TV about the Hurricane's 75th this weekend either ...:(

Member for

24 years 6 months

Today's event at Brooklands includes the Hurricane flypast which is now scheduled for 1310 local.

Its HAC's MkXIIA, G-HURI, operating out of Duxford late morning with Dave Harvey as pilot.

Member for

20 years 9 months

A few thoughts from my blog here.

Seventy-five years ago, on the 6 November 1935, George P.W.S. Bullman took the prototype Hawker Hurricane, K5083, designed by Sir Sidney Camm, into the air from the airfield at Brooklands, Surrey.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_bbSqbT4u2xc/TNVAx0UKnmI/AAAAAAAAAY0/I9EO4B68tNY/s1600/HawkerHurricanePrototypeFirstConfig.jpg

It was (despite the focus on the more famous sister aircraft) the decisive aircraft in the Battle of Britain, five short years after that first flight. Hurricane pilots accounted for more enemy aircraft shot down during the battle than all the other defences combined. As Francis K Mason put it in his book on the type, "The RAF ... had to have the Hurricane". One key reason why the Hurricane was critical was that Hawker's were able to carry forward their well tried biplane technology and factories using the systems into an effective - albeit limited development potential - eight-gun monoplane fighter. Even with all the short cuts Hawker's used, production of sufficient Hurricanes was, in the words on another battle, 'a d@mn close run thing'.

These two photographs of the prototype show both how it differed from production Hurricanes, and also a number of changes K5083 underwent in its own early career.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_bbSqbT4u2xc/TNVAx-YSKmI/AAAAAAAAAYs/hH5BVD6kjcA/s1600/HawkerHurricanePrototypeLaterConfig.jpg

Notable changes are the re-arrangement and extra bars on the canopy after excessive flexing; the removal of the tailplane struts; the extension of the radiator bath as well as many other small items - as expected in a prototype's development.

Differences to production aircraft are also numerous, but one that always intrigued me is the change in the shape of the undercarriage door.

[Images originally Hawker Aircraft / RAF Official, I believe.]

Member for

20 years 4 months

It is an amazing thing how the prototype Hurricane just vanished into history, bricked up in a building somewhere waiting for Indiana jones?

But it is good so many survive and also so many are flying even though it is always in the shadow of the spit it's combat record in world war 2 stands on its own.

curlyboy

Member for

16 years 10 months

Nice piece there James.
The Hurricane has always been my favourite of the two 'modern Royal Air Force fighters', but I fancy this thread is falling into the usual Hurri vs Spit routine, they were both great aircraft in their different ways
Don't forget this is a 75th which isn't usually made a fuss of as a 70th etc is.
As Curlyboy touches on the type has never as popular as it is now regarding restoration and flyers.